• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fixy computer 1 dorra"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Actually Doogie plugging in a RAM chip isn't that hard. Line up the notch, press firmly into place and wait for the little white clips to click into place.

Not that hard. Even you could do it.
    Yes indeed. When I've done it it in the past it worked.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Actually Doogie plugging in a RAM chip isn't that hard. Line up the notch, press firmly into place and wait for the little white clips to click into place.

Well!

In an earlier version of myself, I had to remove 32 ram chips from six servers, Sun's - E420's I think, so might have been 16 each - long time ago, and replace with bigger ones.

Ah tell thi', my finger's were bleeding, literally, blood everywhere, these needed a fair push on the clasp, and good press and another pull on the clasp, thumbs shot to ribbons.

Insert Actress to Bishop joke, here...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    Not sure if I'm giving myself oral here? Damn glad I had that rib removed.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Hi MF

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Hi MF

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MF
    finally......
    Hi MF

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    OK I'm officially a cretin, I get it.
    finally......

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    OK I'm officially a cretin, I get it.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    What puzzles me even more is how I could have possibly known this from the numbers recorded in the build, if you recall the post in technical.

No mention of ECC, non ECC.
    Ahem

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    400M - effective FSB clock speed (PC2-3200)
    64X72 - Parity (1 bit extra for every 8)
    8 - Could be ECC, but could also be banks of memory modules (i.e. 16 Meg x 8 x 4 banks)
    240 - Pins (DDR2)
    1RX4 - Single Rank Memory

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I've eventually given in. I need someone to paint, decorate, fix holes etc at the shop for the schedule of dilapidation. Normally I'm like. 'pay some idiot £150 a day to that'. Eventually I've had to give in. I hate paying someone more than my day rate.
    Agree. I would hire builders, painters, decorators, plumbers, electricians etc and often do. Stuff I genuinely can't do to their level of quality.

Plugging in a RAM chip should be within my grasp though.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You must hire a lot of people then.
    I've eventually given in. I need someone to paint, decorate, fix holes etc at the shop for the schedule of dilapidation. Normally I'm like. 'pay some idiot £150 a day to that'. Eventually I've had to give in. I hate paying someone more than my day rate.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah it's tough when you have to know what you're doing rather than just plug things in wherever they will fit.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Suity. I tend to find that if I'm not sure how
    to do something or unsure how something works I hire a professional to do it for me? Why not have a look on Google for a local IT professional who can help
    you?
    You must hire a lot of people then.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    And how would you do that? I spent quite a bit of time looking for a RAM supplier I could ring. Some of the contact numbers are buried so deep into the site they take ages to find, and when you do find it and ring you get told their offices are closed on the weekends.

I shall try ringing crucial in the morning.
    Suity. I tend to find that if I'm not sure how
    to do something or unsure how something works I hire a professional to do it for me? Why not have a look on Google for a local IT professional who can help
    you?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yeah it's tough when you have to know what you're doing rather than just plug things in wherever they will fit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X