• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£40 voucher for Virgin wines"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You truly are a spectacular moron even by CUK standards.
    This is like a double negative in maths right? If a moron calls you a moron...

I would say an £80 case online is going to be at least comparable with £8/bottle wine from Tesco. If that's below your taste both are going to be bad (I doubt a low-level permie like you can afford £15) but people quite often compliment the wine we have without being told. Most of our peer group do just buy whichever wine is reduced the most to £5-6 but then we're not paying much more than that.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Just join the wine society and stop messing about.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Same vineyards though.
    I haven't had a single decent Laithwaite wine in the 2 crates I sampled.
    Mind you decent is relative - I'd call a £15 Barolo decent.
    Stopped buying off them years ago, as the quality went downhill.

Though Naked wines look a good option

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    £3.80 for a pint of stella in my local! Jesus. I'm going to be buying cheap wine instead.

Thanks for the voucher. Can you recommend the £2.99 Polish Semillion Anti Freeze?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Yep - agree. They have different buyers / marketeers / systems / call centre. Direct Wines just happen to have bought Virgin.

I drink a fair bit of Laithwaites wines - IMO some are pretty good for the price.
    Same vineyards though.
    I haven't had a single decent Laithwaite wine in the 2 crates I sampled.
    Mind you decent is relative - I'd call a £15 Barolo decent.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I said I like corks better, I didn't make any comment on how they affect the wine. Since opening the wine is part of the pleasure though, it makes a difference.

Saying Virgin/Laithwaites are the same because they have the same owner is like saying these are equivalent:

So you think Laithwaites is like a Jag? Or is that Virgin?
    It's mugs like you marketing was designed for.
    Mind you you even fell for that old Jewish ad agency: the Apostles
    You truly are a spectacular moron even by CUK standards.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I said I like corks better, I didn't make any comment on how they affect the wine. Since opening the wine is part of the pleasure though, it makes a difference.

Saying Virgin/Laithwaites are the same because they have the same owner is like saying these are equivalent:

Yep - agree. They have different buyers / marketeers / systems / call centre. Direct Wines just happen to have bought Virgin.

I drink a fair bit of Laithwaites wines - IMO some are pretty good for the price.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Laithewaites and Virgin wine is tulipe. Sourced from the same crappy vineyards.
    And if you knew anything about wine you would know that corked wine is not necessarily superior to screw-top. In fact it doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Some of it is unacceptably bad. But it's packaged and marketed well so appeals to the ignorant wannabes.
    That's why I posted the voucher here.

Captive audience.

(plus I get a 10% kickback on every penny spent).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I must say I was a virgin wine member, but as you say, found all their wine "not to my taste", some of revolting infact, and so soon gave them the boot. I like to buy my wine from the vintage section in Waitrose which is 5 minutes from my house.
    Some of it is unacceptably bad. But it's packaged and marketed well so appeals to the ignorant wannabes.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    I've had so many wank wines for under a fiver at Tesco, than good ones...
    If you consider that the duty on a bottle of wine is about £3 regardless of quality when you buy a £5 pound bottle you're buying tulipe.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    And if you knew anything about wine you would know that corked wine is not necessarily superior to screw-top. In fact it doesn't matter.

HTH, but IDI
    I must say I was a virgin wine member, but as you say, found all their wine "not to my taste", some of revolting infact, and so soon gave them the boot. I like to buy my wine from the vintage section in Waitrose which is 5 minutes from my house.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I'm with laithewaites and it's pretty good. I don't know if comparable bottles are cheaper than in Tesco but in Tesco I wouldn't know what to pick anyway.
    One nice thing is bottles always have corks, not a screw-top in sight.

HTH, but IDI

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Most wine is cheaper down the supermarket. So you're really paying over the odds for home delivery.

I don't know if it is cheaper from the supermarkets though. Yes, you won't get your famous brands with the internet based ones, as they sponsor smaller vineyards but as a quick calculation:

1 Case of 12 Bottles of Red @ £8.99 bottle - £107.88
    Free Delivery over £100.00 - £0.00
    £50 Voucher off (all over the net)

= £57.88 / 12 Bottles = £4.82 a bottle.

I've had so many wank wines for under a fiver at Tesco, than good ones...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Laithwaites and Virgin Wines have the same parent company (Direct Wines) although the range on offer is different.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X