• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tory's out to burn scotland cause no one voted for them"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I had a quick google yesterday on the religiosity of Scotland versus England and didn't reach anything conclusive, but if anything it looked as if the Scotland has more non-believers than England. Though, to guess, I imagine religious people in England tend to be less fervent in their beliefs than the Irish or Scottish.
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Yeah but it's a farce, none of them are religious anyway. Most of the ****ers haven't been in a church since the last wedding/funeral.
    WHS. Religion is just what they use to find a reason to hate each other. And football.

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Quote from CM...

"Mammy, why is Daddy going to Hell?"

"Because he's a filthy Proddy!"

Form your own conclusion boys and bhoys!
    My wife works with someone who calls them Prossies rather than Proddies.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    It makes me laugh - many of the Irish folk I've met from the South tut and shake their heads about the North "all that sectarianism" - but don't imagine that implies tolerance. There are of course Proddy Churches etc in the Republic - but an Irish bloke I met in France summed up a lot of it. I said "but there are protestants in the Republic too" - "not for long" he said.

The passport office in The Republic will issue a passport with the place of birth listed as Derry not Londonderry (no matter what you put on the form). If you want it to say Londonderry, you have to send it back and get it changed. For the unintiated I should add Londonderry = proddy Derry=Catholic.
    I love the South. Go to Dublin a couple of times a year for the craic. Nearly every Irish man will end up having a laugh and banter about the football.

Head upto the border and it's completely different, people are lovely enough, but if I don't know them then football is not a joking matter.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito
    The problem with Scotland is religion.
    And DA, the Empire was built on the back of the Scots my friend.

WW1

Percentage killed of all mobilised

Grand total - 13.4%
    Britain and Ireland - 11.8%
    British Empire - 8.8%
    Scotland - 26.4%
    France - 16.8%
    Turkey - 26.8%
    Serbia - 37.1%
    Germany - 15.4%
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Don't those figures just show that Scots are crap soldiers?
    No. They show that the hated English put the Scots in the most dangerous positions.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I hate everyone.

Does that help?
    Not really, as everyone hates you.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Maybe in Northern Ireland, but I have never encountered those issues in the Republic. Perhaps CM or some of the others can comment?
    It makes me laugh - many of the Irish folk I've met from the South tut and shake their heads about the North "all that sectarianism" - but don't imagine that implies tolerance. There are of course Proddy Churches etc in the Republic - but an Irish bloke I met in France summed up a lot of it. I said "but there are protestants in the Republic too" - "not for long" he said.

The passport office in The Republic will issue a passport with the place of birth listed as Derry not Londonderry (no matter what you put on the form). If you want it to say Londonderry, you have to send it back and get it changed. For the unintiated I should add Londonderry = proddy Derry=Catholic.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I had a quick google yesterday on the religiosity of Scotland versus England and didn't reach anything conclusive, but if anything it looked as if the Scotland has more non-believers than England. Though, to guess, I imagine religious people in England tend to be less fervent in their beliefs than the Irish or Scottish. That would probably include football too.
    Yeah but it's a farce, none of them are religious anyway. Most of the ****ers haven't been in a church since the last wedding/funeral.

Take Minestrone, fervent upholder of Catholic state schools. He's not religious, so why does he want them?

It is segregation at an early age when kids begin to ask "why can I not go to the same school as Billy/Declan?"

Then when they're older, it gives the kids something to hate. Everyone always had a rival school when they were at school, but now you're labelling that school Proddy/Catholic.

If I had one wish in life it would be to remove all religion. Your average person is not moral enough to deserve it.

See that's the funny thing, Minestrone sees me attacking his schools as a proddy when I'm actually attacking them as an atheist.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I had a quick google yesterday on the religiosity of Scotland versus England and didn't reach anything conclusive, but if anything it looked as if the Scotland has more non-believers than England. Though, to guess, I imagine religious people in England tend to be less fervent in their beliefs than the Irish or Scottish. That would probably include football too.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Maybe in Northern Ireland, but I have never encountered those issues in the Republic. Perhaps CM or some of the others can comment?
    Quote from CM...

"Mammy, why is Daddy going to Hell?"

"Because he's a filthy Proddy!"

Form your own conclusion boys and bhoys!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I bet there would still be 'catholic' and 'protestant' schools just as there are whole areas in Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    And that's my point exactly, you say it's nothing to do with religion, I say it's everything to do with religion. Religion has played its part in stoking the hatred of 'them with their funny ways' (both sides). Now it's the 21st century and people wonder why the hatred is bred into the generations.

My answer? Take it out of the schools, all religion, get them playing together and realising that wee Billy is just the same as wee Declan and wee Adnan.
    Religion or not, the root cause is the parents ingraining hatred into their kids, not the schools. Even if schools were ostensibly secular, I bet there would still be 'catholic' and 'protestant' schools just as there are whole areas in Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Not sure what the answer is, but if it were simple it would have been fixed by now. I would say it has less to do with schools and more to do with tolerance.
    I say it has nothing to do with the school and all the more to do with the generation that created the curriculum. The idealists of our past. They coined up a virus for our heads that's spread, spread and spread. Half the time the opposing thugs don't even know why they fight.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I hate everyone.

Does that help?
    No. You don't count. Sorry.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    And that's my point exactly, you say it's nothing to do with religion, I say it's everything to do with religion. Religion has played its part in stoking the hatred of 'them with their funny ways' (both sides). Now it's the 21st century and people wonder why the hatred is bred into the generations.

My answer? Take it out of the schools, all religion, get them playing together and realising that wee Billy is just the same as wee Declan and wee Adnan.

However, MineWino would class me a bigot for having that opinion.

And I'm off for my tea.

We did not go to those classes because we wanted to. We went there because our elders hated each other. Religion is an idea, a concept I'm open too, but it does not convey hatred. That comes from the individual.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I hate everyone.

Does that help?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Well here's the thing. Down here in Devon, in Teignmouth more specifically, there are about 4 Primary Schools. One of which is an RC Primary. (Not the one I sent my kids to incidentally).
    Now my youngest son played footy for the local team, a team which draws kids from all of the schools. 1 or 2 kids went to the RC Primary school yet I never heard on any occasion anyone, young or old, questioning any of the other kids' religion. So patently it is not just as simple as it being down to "the schools".
    Strangely enough, there is no Orange Lodge that I am aware of in the town.

Taking scooterscot's example above, "We had two English classes at high school, one for the prodies one for the catholics, I remember often saying 'see you after' to a friend as we returned from different classes for the same lesson."
    It seems he went to a multidenominational school yet still experienced problems.
    Not sure what the answer is, but if it were simple it would have been fixed by now. I would say it has less to do with schools and more to do with tolerance.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

However, MineWino would class me a bigot for having that opinion.

And I'm off for my tea.
    25 million Catholic children in Catholic schools across the world at this point. Only in Scotland do they want to take them away because they are thought they create bigotry.

Strange that rangers refused to sign a Catholic for years all because of Catholic Schools.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X