• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Selling a car privately"

Collapse

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Pleasant idea if the stealer was willing to make a sensible (to me) Part-Ex offer for the car.

10.5k so far, seen them on garage forecourt for 14k, I'd be happy somewhere in the middle.
    £2K under the dealer price is about right; £3.5K is way off. Ask them to reduce the price of the sale car by £1500.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Oh great.

I'm selling my car at the moment, this is a really encouraging thread!!
    Don't worry, they just rumbled DP as a soft touch when they saw a man selling a pink car.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Trade it in for a new car and let the dealer take all the hassle.
    Pleasant idea if the stealer was willing to make a sensible (to me) Part-Ex offer for the car.

10.5k so far, seen them on garage forecourt for 14k, I'd be happy somewhere in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    A bloke is interested and proposes making a bank to bank payment in person at the nearest Barclays.

Do I have to wait until the money appears in my account or is it good as soon as it is sent?

My bank usually takes about 10 months for a payment to clear, even though it is two computers connected together and the electrons only take 5 nanoseconds to make the payment. Got to love bs and their systems.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Most cars I've owned have generally started out as 3-4K second hand motors which I've run into the ground and I think I've given away two cars to date, scrapped two, written off one. I think I've only ever sold two cars, one because I hated it shortly after buying it and one because I was skint (from the days of permidom). (Includes the missus cars too).

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Invite the buyer round, tell him to stand in front of the car so you can show him something, drive over his feet, and say very loudly "DON'T WASTE MY TIME".

HTH

Leave a comment:

• StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff
    replied
    why not just sell it on ebay?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Trade it in for a new car and let the dealer take all the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Sold my XC70 privately on autotrader a year or so ago.

Had the time wasters and garages looking for stock even though I said no garages. "Oh you'll never get that price"

Admittedly I had to keep the advert going for a few weeks, but in the end my car went to a nice owner. As it turns out we're not all in this together, some people actually have money to spend

Leave a comment:

• Sands of Time
    replied
    I buy 'em, kill 'em, scrap 'em...

Bing!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I sold my car for scrap because it was broken. I should have got it mended.

I loved that car.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Oh great.

I'm selling my car at the moment, this is a really encouraging thread!!

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Used to be easy, now seems to only attract idiots ringing you up telling you there's a recession on and they want the car but with 50% off the price.

This will be the last car I sell privately. Utter time wasting.

Thankyou for listening.
    That'll be the traders/pikies/webuyanycar.com pretending to be private buyers. Beware the ones who send their sons/daughters round to agree your price first - then turn up with their fathers/uncles/brothers who then try and knock the price down. Had that last year and they kept turning up/phoning until eventually I sold it to someone else for near to full asking.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Used to be easy, now seems to only attract idiots ringing you up telling you there's a recession on and they want the car but with 50% off the price.

This will be the last car I sell privately. Utter time wasting.

Thankyou for listening.
    I've done it once and had some real nutters calling me. One man camped outside my house for a couple of hours when I refused his (ridiculous) offer. The lady who eventually bought the car was a nutter, too. She didn't know the first thing about cars or buying them, and didn't even know what the registration document was for, let alone how to open the bonnet.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Cheapskate - support the economy by allowing second hand car salesmen make a living!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X