• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Light bulbs are just the beginning."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    but what if I dont want lower fuel bills. what give you the right to tell me how to live pj?

you are a selfrighteous self appointed eco fascist. go and live your life and leave me to live mine
    You're not allowed to grow weed in your loft, or use heroin, or kill yourself. Houses also already have to meet certain insulation regs too. Even if we assume that you having a polluting house has no impact on anyone else, which is patently untrue, that's how western civilisation works.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Er, I think you'll find that that oil will last forever, despite exponential growth in consumption, due either to the fact that oil is continually being found, created underground or that coal or coal shale will last forever instead. If not, we can simply switch to 'hydrogen', which is abundant and will last forever.
    Not sure if you're nit-picking, of course we won't ever use literally every drop but we can certainly reach a point we cannot extract any more, or the amount becoming available is so tiny as to be virtually nothing.
    Hydrogen isn't free in the same way as oil, you can just pick oil up and burn it but need to invest a lot of energy obtaining Hydrogen... plus that only solves energy needs not manufacturing using plastics.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    yes of course

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    More interesting "fruitcake" plans from the EU:

EU to ban cars from cities by 2050 - Telegraph

Like me you probably wondered what happened to all those loonies when they closed the asylums.
    Did they sign up for CUK?

Banning petrol and diesel cars from city centres by 2050 is hardly a fruitcake plan, it seems like a very achievable goal and shows just the sort of long term thinking which inevitably goes wooshing over the heads of the plebs, who of course are all moaning and whining and haven't stopped to consider how much the world changed in the last 40 years and how much it will change in the next 40 years. Cities free of hydrocarbon burning vehicles will turn out to be a fairly minor change in the grand scheme of things I expect.

Also worth noting that the Torygraph doesn't make it clear that they are only talking about petrol & diesel cars. Journalistic integrity? Wots that then?
    Last edited by doodab; 29 March 2011, 07:46.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Not a problem: by 2050 all the oil will have run out.

HTH.
    Er, I think you'll find that that oil will last forever, despite exponential growth in consumption, due either to the fact that oil is continually being found, created underground or that coal or coal shale will last forever instead. If not, we can simply switch to 'hydrogen', which is abundant and will last forever.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    More interesting "fruitcake" plans from the EU:

EU to ban cars from cities by 2050 - Telegraph

Like me you probably wondered what happened to all those loonies when they closed the asylums.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 March 2011, 06:54.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ooooo, do they have those very smart black uniforms?
    they wear second hand traffic warden uniforms

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke
    There's no reason, other than the innate conservatism of the construction industry and associated risible regulation, why most new houses should not be constructed to the passivhaus standard. Initial costs are 10-15% higher but as there is no space heating, this is soon recouped in lower fuel bills.

Apologies for this factual interruption, we now return you to your Daily Mail Delusions. I see the 'unusable' Living Ark was host to a programme of activies during climate week.
    but what if I dont want lower fuel bills. what give you the right to tell me how to live pj?

you are a selfrighteous self appointed eco fascist. go and live your life and leave me to live mine

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    What in flip has God got to do with it?
    God knows? opps

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Originally posted by 1 Kings 6 11-18
    11 And the word of the LORD came to Solomon, saying,

12 Concerning this house which thou art in building, if thou wilt walk in my statutes, and execute my judgments, and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I perform my word with thee, which I spake unto David thy father:

13 And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not forsake my people Israel.

14 So Solomon built the house, and finished it.

15 And he built the walls of the house within with boards of cedar, both the floor of the house, and the walls of the ceiling: and he covered them on the inside with wood, and covered the floor of the house with planks of fir.

16 And he built twenty cubits on the sides of the house, both the floor and the walls with boards of cedar: he even built them for it within, even for the oracle, even for the most holy place.

17 And the house, that is, the temple before it, was forty cubits long.

18 And the cedar of the house within was carved with knops and open flowers: all was cedar; there was no stone seen.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Wooden houses if maintained properly have a minimum life expectancy of 30 years which may not sound a lot but when you consider you can buy one for £40K it is still cheaper than brick (you only buy the land once). It’s just the UK mentality / tradition that houses have to be brick or they will fall down; most new houses are timber framed with a brick / block & render skin to them purely for atheistic reasons
    & I do believe that all new developments should have ground heat recovery built in

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I think what the EU diktat means is more buildings like this.

Zero carbon building

I imagine a wooden underheated building like that probably stinks because of the mould and wood rot.

Personally I think a cave would be more comfortable.
    WHS

and tens of thousands of people will die of lung disease and liver cancer caused by moulds such as Aspergillus

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I sit next to an Architect (a real one) who was saying he would like to do a couple of zero carbon houses "but just a couple, no more".

Looks like he is floofed then.

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Doesn't this forum have an eco-shed guru?
    shedhead

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Doesn't this forum have an eco-shed guru?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    What article?

Unless you mean the one about the wooden classroom which you posted, thereby bringing up the subject.

Did they even consult a heating engineer?

But hang on. I think we have the answer here:
    that's the one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X