• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New car"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Someone nicked a Qashqai. Do you have a particularly desperate type of car thief in your area?
    Probably pinched to order. Not your usual joyrider material, someone wanted that particular car, especially if it was a top spec version.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Looking for a new family motor as the current one is certainly past it's best.

I was thinking about getting a nissan quashqai....anone got one, any thoughts? Thinking of testing one out tomorrow. Intended purpose is to do the weekly commute and as a kiddy wagon at the weekend.

I know it's not a beemer or such but, well, I can't afford a premium contractor motor at the moment.

Oh, and i'm gonna lease it, not tax effective but casflow is crap as warchest is piled into plan B - which will be up and running by the end of the month

So any opinions on the 'squishy'?
    Been looking at getting one of these as well. Some good deals to be had on 2-3 year old models.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    Can you trust your kids to not wreck the interior? Otherwise, leasing could turn into an expensive nightmare when the time comes for you to turn it in.
    It's not just the interior, most leasing companies have an annual mileage limit which is surprisingly easy to go over.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    That is cheap...and I did quite like my passat when i had it. I'm having second thoughts now.
    Isn't Octavia rather Golf based ?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I had a Qashqai till it got nicked two weeks ago. Loved it, great car.
    Someone nicked a Qashqai. Do you have a particularly desperate type of car thief in your area?

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Skoda is selling brand new Octavias for £11K atm (25% discount)
    That is cheap...and I did quite like my passat when i had it. I'm having second thoughts now.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Skoda is selling brand new Octavias for £11K atm (25% discount)

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Canvey Carriage Company : NISSAN PRIMERA 2.2dCi S [138] 2005

If you can't bring yourself to drive such a thing, the Cashcow is not much better.
    I know what your saying DP, but my position is OK (safe as houses) at the moment, albeit with the inherit risk of contracting. Would be easier if I was a millionaire like you.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Canvey Carriage Company : NISSAN PRIMERA 2.2dCi S [138] 2005

If you can't bring yourself to drive such a thing, the Cashcow is not much better.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You'll get stung when you hand it back. Every scratch, dent, stain etc will be billed.

If you can't afford a decent car and it's for ferrying kids around just get a cheap motor like a Mondeo Estate or a Vauxhall Vectra or Zafira. Cheap as chips and easy to service. Tonnes of spares in scrappies online.

Pick one up with a years MOT for about £1500, if you are lucky will last years.

Why waste cashflow if you are skint?
    Surely there is some allowance for wear, I'm assuming the likes of stone chips don't get charged for as these are aqcuired during normal use? Or do I lube up prior to handing it back.....ok then,what are peoples experiences of leasing?

Don't really want a £1500 dagenham dustbin - not this time around anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You'll get stung when you hand it back. Every scratch, dent, stain etc will be billed.

If you can't afford a decent car and it's for ferrying kids around just get a cheap motor like a Mondeo Estate or a Vauxhall Vectra or Zafira. Cheap as chips and easy to service. Tonnes of spares in scrappies online.

Pick one up with a years MOT for about £1500, if you are lucky will last years.

Why waste cashflow if you are skint?

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    Can you trust your kids to not wreck the interior? Otherwise, leasing could turn into an expensive nightmare when the time comes for you to turn it in.
    I'll just have to bill them.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Or do I go for the wierd looking juke? Maybe it would grow on me....definately different.
    Juke's don't hold value apparently and nowhere near as popular as the cashcow.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Bummer. Not exactly what I thought joy riders would go for though.
    Not joyriders this time, organised gang. Four cars gone from the village in the last two weeks

When the insurance gets sorted I'll buy another.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Or do I go for the wierd looking juke? Maybe it would grow on me....definately different.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X