• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Japan Earthquake: before and after"

Collapse

• Normie
    replied
    The original pictures were obtained from Google I think:

Google LatLong: Post-earthquake images of Japan

Download the KML file and open it in Google Earth - much better views of current images (better res I think).

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    If you look at parts of the pictures where the water didnt reach, tops of buildings etc, then the colours is not "dingy". The airport shots are good examples. The roof and boarding gantries are still clean and white. Think about the colour of the water in the videos, it's black and full of debris and mud, all of which will have been dumped and left behind when it receeded turning everything black. Think about pictures of the inside of a house after it's been floodeded. Covered in mud and sludge.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Or maybe they had the luxury of waiting for a nice bright summer's day to take the "before" shots, whereas the "after" shots had to be taken in whatever early March weather conditions happened to be prevailing.
    Probably; you'd expect the fields that were green in summer to be brown now as it's just about the end of winter; there won't be much growing in the fields; possibly only just sown with new seed, whereas the 'before' pics showed fields full of veg.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Or maybe they had the luxury of waiting for a nice bright summer's day to take the "before" shots, whereas the "after" shots had to be taken in whatever early March weather conditions happened to be prevailing.
    Or simply a different time of day. There's possibly a lot of smoke in the atmosphere now as well.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I wondered that myself. I'm no expert at photo's so I'd assumed it was an effect of the light.
    I considered the cause of the difference to be of secondary importance to there being a difference, and the mental jiggery pokery required to try to negate it. Maybe it's easier just to look at the cars and buildings, or lack thereof. I saw similar before and after satellite images on TV, so the marked colour difference, if it was of human origin, wasn't limited to 'enthusiastic' newspaper staff.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I wondered that myself. I'm no expert at photo's so I'd assumed it was an effect of the light.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Pretty bad, but it would have been better not to tinker with the colours to make the "after" images look artificially darker and grungier.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    scarey stuff

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Pretty bad, but it would have been better not to tinker with the colours to make the "after" images look artificially darker and grungier.
    WHS. This was especially noticeable on hills higher than would have been reached by the water.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    Japan tsunami survivor Hiromitsu Shinkawa found 10 miles out at sea
    Rescuers spot 60-year-old from Fukushima prefecture clinging to the roof of his home two days after the tsunami struck

Japan tsunami survivor Hiromitsu Shinkawa found 10 miles out at sea | World news | The Guardian
    It's hard to imagine the human cost of this disaster.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie
    <post deleted by Mod>

That didn't work so let's try this;

Last edited by Cliphead; 13 March 2011, 20:02.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Another set

New York Times Linky

The forces of nature can be staggering

Leave a comment:

Working...
X