• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone got any boring hobbies that they want to admit to?"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I write computer programs for fun. Games mostly.
    Had anything published?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Surely "astronautographs"!

I am a big fan of early church history, and have been known to collect ancient Greek and near-eastern pottery.

Churches: How to Read Them

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I write computer programs for fun. Games mostly.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    I collect books, board games, CCTG, Dice, RPG’s
    I paint & play with little lead soldiers,
    I have started to get into the veg growing thing
    I do cross stich, make plushy murlocks & I never seem to have any spare time
    WoW!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    That song would have been much better if the first line had been, "I drove my pitch fork through your haystack last night"
    ploughing through your bean field!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Zeus and Jupiter both come from the hindoo Diyeus Pater or Sky Father.
    heh never knew that! (then again I probably wouldn't have )

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I prefer Roman history when the gods were the gods and the plebs were the plebs. Long live the Republic.
    agreed, roman history suddenly becomes quite boring once the empire fell and it became split religiously across east and western europe but that's just a personal opinion.

and when it comes to religion nothing beats the greek/roman gods - much better stories than the bible, the hindu stories are cool too

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Hey, easy with the use of the word 'interesting' ...
    It is interesting within the context of a boring hobby.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    That is an interesting subject.
    Hey, easy with the use of the word 'interesting' ...

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    "I drove my tractor through your haystack last night...."

Hmmm, how did they ever get to be on Seaside Special with lyrics like that?
    That song would have been much better if the first line had been, "I drove my pitch fork through your haystack last night"

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    In addition to folk music I also play classical guitar, once played a concerto in a little church with a string ensemble. I enjoyed it but it was hard on the fingers, managed to get through it without muscle cramp.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    They nicked their Gods from the Greeks.

Now they had cool Gods.
    No they didn't nick them, they inherited them just as the Greeks did from earlier deites. Homer and Hesiod helped fix the Greek panthenon in the 8th century but Rome was already worshipping Jupiter at this point.

Zeus and Jupiter both come from the hindoo Diyeus Pater or Sky Father.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    That is a point I've not come across before. Please direct me to any literature/source you may have in support.
    You're taking me back to my degree, nearly 20 years ago, here. I'll have a think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It is also interesting because it created a split in the West between the Orhodox / Athanasian / Catholic Romans and the Arian Barbarians residing in the Empire. It is arguable that this religious split between the two communities had an important role in the transition of the Western Roman Empire into Barbarian kingdoms.
    That is a point I've not come across before. Please direct me to any literature/source you may have in support.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I prefer Roman history when the gods were the gods and the plebs were the plebs. Long live the Republic.
    They nicked their Gods from the Greeks.

Now they had cool Gods.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X