• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Climate Change Poll"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    woo another vote this morning.

Yaa boo sucks to the AGW crowd.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    An argument often heard in the fruitlooposphere* is that the scientific community has financial incentive to push the consensus view that humans are responsible for climate change. The idea is that toeing the consensus line translates into more research funding.

There is, of course, never any evidence presented with this argument. Rather, it is presented as "common sense": "Well, of course they're just trying to get more funding ..."

So let's apply a little common sense and see how the argument fares.

First, consider that the scientific community has been saying for several years that our understanding of the climate system is quite good. Not perfect, mind you, but good enough that many scientists feel we should be taking action now to reduce our greenhouse-gas emissions. Based on the strength of this conclusion, many politicians have started saying "the science is settled."

Does that sound like a recipe for getting lots of research funding? Saying that we have a pretty good understanding of the climate system?

In fact, it should be obvious that the scientific community would be better off saying we're not sure that climate change is caused by humans: "It might be human-induced, but it might not be. What we really need is more money for models, satellites, and analysis." I can imagine a bipartisan groundswell of support for massive funding of climate science. That's the way to maximize funding. You don't say that the science is settled. You say it's unsettled.

And what would happen if the scientific community said definitively that humans were not to blame? I don't think funding would go down much, for the following reason. The climate is still warming, and if it is not human, then what is it? Obviously, we need to do a lot of research to figure out what is driving the climate, and how the climate will evolve over the next century. Enormous amounts of research on geoengineering and adaptation will be necessary, regardless of whether the cause is human.

So, it doesn't appear that the scientific community has done itself any favors by concluding that humans are responsible for climate change.

It should be clear that, like most skeptical arguments, this one doesn't stand up to an application of common sense.
    Andrew Dessler.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Stand to reason. As you move from 'General Public' to 'Active Climate Researcher' (whose very existence is dependant upon him/her receiving additional research funds from malleable Governments itching to make a connection in order that punitive taxation can be levied on guilt-ridden electorates the world over, the proportion who answer yes to the question Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures? increases, ending up at 97%.
    FTFY

Keep the Research Funding coming and we will continue to unearth "trends" that appear to back any given contention.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Stands to reason. As you move from 'General Public' to 'Active Climate Researcher' the proportion who answer yes to the question Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures? increases, ending up at 97%.

Source Given the degree of informedness round here I am mildly surprised the correct answer got as many votes as it did ... ;-)
    Last edited by pjclarke; 3 March 2011, 22:50.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I know it wouldn't be applicable to most here who like to argue about AGW, but where's the "I'm intelligent enough to realise I don't know enough to know for sure" option?

Although I'll vote whichever way you want if it'll shut you up.
    Do you have a mainframe access that forces you read everything to get to the threads you want to read?

I find it quite fascinating you keep reading and posting in boring threads.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 March 2011, 18:19.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    What options need to be added to get YOU to shut up?

You are always piling into threads that you claim don't interest you and chiming in with irrelevant soundbites.

Honestly................isn't there a God-Bothering Forum you'd feel more at home in?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    "I'm intelligent enough to realise I don't know enough to know for sure"

[SIZE="1"]
    whs

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Even I'm bored with it now!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Let's settle this once and for all with a CUK consensus.
    I know it wouldn't be applicable to most here who like to argue about AGW, but where's the "I'm intelligent enough to realise I don't know enough to know for sure" option?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I'd have preferred a multiple choice poll.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I voted the nearest option to "I'm not convinced that the evidence and science is comprehensive".

I don't deny that CO2 emitted by human civilisation might be having an effect on the global climate, but I've yet to see evidence that it probably is let alone that it certainly is responsible. Climate changes are a normal part of how the planet functions, you only have to take a look at the fossil records to see that.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    No Andyw option, no vote.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    started a poll Climate Change Poll

Climate Change Poll

Believe it brother, AGW is real
    30.77%
    AGW is bollox
    69.23%
    Let's settle this once and for all with a CUK consensus.

Working...
X