• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The beginning of the end of the PC?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Apple have already had a go at keyboards. You can't get a Bluetooth keyboard with a numeric keypad any more.

Well, I'll just connect my trusty PS2 keyboard... on wait!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I think the machine you use will show your status in the hierarchy.
    Lower level technical types like analysts, developers and support people will be wedded to a keyboard for obvious reasons.
    Higher level strategic types will only need the output that the lower levels produce - and a touchscreen is good enough for that.
    And what would your types do?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I'm not a touch typist and, given a large enough keyboard, I don't think my typing speed would change a great deal.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    So Steve Jobs' answers to your questions:

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Is 2011 to mark the beginning of the end of the gas guzzling PC?

...will the future office need the PC's larger screen and locally connected boxes, wires and peripherals, such as a keyboard and mouse?

Is the iPad2 first and foremost an office laptop killer?
    would be:

Here you go:
    Originally posted by Steve Jobs
    PCs are going to be like trucks. They’re still going to be around, they’re still going to have a lot of value, but they’re going to be used by one out of X people. … I think that we’re embarked on that. Is the next step the iPad? Who knows? Will it happen next year or five years from now or seven years from now? Who knows? But I think we’re headed in that direction.
    or, to summarise: no, yes, and no.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Thinner ice.

If keyboards are going to be superceded in any meaningful way then the designers are going to have to get past the tactile feedback that allows those who touch-type to do so so quickly. I've tried typing on an iPad and it's nowhere near as good in that respect as a keyboard - same with projected keyboards or 'paper' keyboards. Dictation software would be ideal for use at home (but not in an open environment) if they could just make it more reliable.
    Apple have already had a go at keyboards. You can't get a Bluetooth keyboard with a numeric keypad any more.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Thinner ice.

If keyboards are going to be superceded in any meaningful way then the designers are going to have to get past the tactile feedback that allows those who touch-type to do so so quickly. I've tried typing on an iPad and it's nowhere near as good in that respect as a keyboard - same with projected keyboards or 'paper' keyboards. Dictation software would be ideal for use at home (but not in an open environment) if they could just make it more reliable.

The iPad is just too kiddie for me to be interested - maybe if they properly thought through a deeper OS that would be operable by touchscreen. Until then it's just an overgrown iPod Touch to me, and it doesn't matter how slim or fast they make it. Interestingly - Apple have filed a patent to develop some sort of tactile feedback system for their touchscreen keyboards - hopefully it's not as shameful as the Blackberry's effort.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Imagine sitting the train in the morning loudly dictating into the device "Due to this latest of Please many mind dangerous the product gap failures, we will have to cut back and sack 50% of the look at that lazy permies. Do not leak this milf as it will be stock price sensitive!"

Not the best scenario
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Imagine sitting the train in the morning loudly dictating into the device "Due to this latest of Please many mind dangerous the product gap failures, we will have to cut back and sack 50% of the lazy permies. Do not leak this as it will be stock price sensitive!"

Not the best scenario.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Whatever happened to voice recognition? To embarrassing or slow to use?
    I had it in 1997. It was pretty good except when I put down the coffee mug OLAQHO0

I believe hospital consultants, barristers and the like used it extensively, but that was probably because they were used to dictating to a secretary and thought keyboards were beneath them. I doubt it's much good for anyone working in an open plan office.

But I preferred to listen to the radio or my CDs through proper speakers while working.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Accents - that's what happened.
    This is where I was lucky to find a British version of the software. I didn't have to learn Yank to get it to understand me. It learned as it went along, but I've just remembered that it was quite a memory hog.
    Last edited by Sysman; 3 March 2011, 13:59.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I can't remember where I saw the trucking metaphor, I'll look again later. He refers to pos-PC devices (which I guess is a typo for post-PC) in his talk yesterday.
    Here you go:

7:05 pm: When you did your presentation on the iPad, you described it as a new category of device, says Walt. But in order for it to succeed, people have to feel that it’s worth carrying around. Do you think the tablet will succeed the laptop, he asks.

Jobs: “When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks, because that’s what you needed on the farm. But as vehicles started to be used in the urban centers, cars got more popular. Innovations like automatic transmission and power steering and things that you didn’t care about in a truck as much started to become paramount in cars. … PCs are going to be like trucks. They’re still going to be around, they’re still going to have a lot of value, but they’re going to be used by one out of X people. … I think that we’re embarked on that. Is the next step the iPad? Who knows? Will it happen next year or five years from now or seven years from now? Who knows? But I think we’re headed in that direction.”
    Apple CEO Steve Jobs Live at D8 | D8 Conference | AllThingsD

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Still is...I tried accessing 3270 sessions over a smartphone, it was utter crap but web-enabling applications, i.e. CICS works pretty good.
    I haven't sat at a real 3270 since the mid 1990s, but CICS over the web is instantly recognisable, and brings a pleasant feeling of nostalgia.

I only really see it in timesheet apps nowadays, though.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    11:12AM Our competitors are looking at this like it's the next PC market. That is not the right approach to this. These are pos-PC devices that need to be easier to use than a PC, more intuitive."
    Live from Apple's iPad 2 event (update: it's over!) -- Engadget
    Having sewn up the gullible market they're now aiming at the stupid people?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    When is Steve Jobs supposed to have said these things? He definitely didn't say any of them at yesterday's iPad 2 launch.
    I can't remember where I saw the trucking metaphor, I'll look again later. He refers to pos-PC devices (which I guess is a typo for post-PC) in his talk yesterday.

11:12AM Our competitors are looking at this like it's the next PC market. That is not the right approach to this. These are pos-PC devices that need to be easier to use than a PC, more intuitive."
    Live from Apple's iPad 2 event (update: it's over!) -- Engadget
    which of course you've already seen. The Apple website has a business section selling iPads for business.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    For me the tablet devices are only interesting in a casual surfing ebook reading capacity.

Otherwise I prefer using a keyboard/mouse either via laptop or full blown PC and only really wish I had a tablet device (for portrait orientation) when trying to read something that is A4 in size, such as a digital magazine.

Therefore I am hanging fire until proper colour ebook readers with OLED or better screens that are still readable in strong sunlight and offering A4 size become available. Not some half-baked interim solution like the iPad or Kindle.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Steve Jobs says PCs will be lorries that will be largely superseded by sleek iPads, or some other trucking metaphor.
    Nah, certainly not in my line of work.

Can see the demise of the desktop PC pretty soon though. My main one is getting old now so was going to replace it but then thought what use do i have for one? The only reason i've kept one around is for gaming but my new laptop is more than capable of running the latest games and new and upcoming mobile graphic chipsets are slick-as. So in my world the desktop could disappear no problem but tablets replacing laptops? No.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X