• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Foreign drivers using loophole to pay only £100 for car insurance"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    No, it almost certainly won't. People follow society and while we have an ethos that discourages responsibility by too ready welfare, an excessive concentration on rights that ignores duties, all these migrants will go down the same hill.

Try checking rather than assuming. For example, a couple of big pluses for the Muslim community used to be an avoidance of drugs and alcohol. Alcohol related hospital admissions for are now just the same as for the rest of us and drug use is fast rising to the same levels.
    Mainly the youth I'd say. I recall Jack Straw stating at meeting I went to, that just outside of this town you'll find bars full of young Muslim men drinking. its been known for many a year the Muslims sell a lot of the drugs - suppose they needed to sell to their own to keep the $$$ rolling in. Usage and addiction is particularily high amongst the Bangladeshi community.

I know a young lady in Slovakia - suppose I'll just have to pop over for a "visit" sometime. I may just get in touch with an insurance agent while I'm there! (Just kidding, I enjoy being ripped off).

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Exploiting inability to identify is not a loophole.

HTH
    DILLIGAF?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    It's entirely possible that some are pretending to be builders because gullible pennypinching jellyheads like sasguru believe they all do good work.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    No, it almost certainly won't. People follow society and while we have an ethos that discourages responsibility by too ready welfare, an excessive concentration on rights that ignores duties, all these migrants will go down the same hill.

Try checking rather than assuming. For example, a couple of big pluses for the Muslim community used to be an avoidance of drugs and alcohol. Alcohol related hospital admissions for are now just the same as for the rest of us and drug use is fast rising to the same levels.
    Really? If you have a link to some statistics I would be interested to see it.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    WPLS

I have used British workers for replacing Windows, boiler etc and all has been done efficiently on time and competitively priced. It is a myth that the polish workers can do a better job. Of course some folks like SASGuru will fall for it and hire the polish gardener who is probably shagging his wife instead of tending to the garden.
    A friend of mine had his office redone by Polish workers..They did a shockingly bad job on the plastering and electrics - like using celotape on the electrics. They took his money and never came back.
    And that's not the first time I've seen Poles do a shoddy job. It's entirely possible that some are pretending to be builders because Brits believe they all do good work.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

No wonder he gets pished on whiskeys all the time and posts tulip on here...
    .....from the sanctity of his eco-shed............hand-built for him by Polish pikeys!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Not a very likely contingency. You've never met sas's wife have you?

No wonder he gets pished on whiskeys all the time and posts tulip on here...

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Our cleaner is Polish, as is the gardener.
    We refurbished the house quickly, with top notch quality and paid a pittance to a team of Polish workers who worked solidly from 8am-8pm and hence did it in half the time.
    If I was not satisfied with any part of the work, they simply redid it, with a better Pole.

Brilliant guys. No wonder lazy Brits are on the dole.
    But this is why our taxes are so high, you pay twice. Once to the polish, and once to the Brits to stay at home on benefits.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    England isn't overcrowded. And I can't believe you put animal rights in the same sentence as gay and women's rights. What kind of mixed up hippy facist are you?!
    Yes it is. Do you not drive anywhere? It has got worse and worse in the last 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    WPLS

I have used British workers for replacing Windows, boiler etc and all has been done efficiently on time and competitively priced. It is a myth that the polish workers can do a better job. Of course some folks like SASGuru will fall for it and hire the polish gardener who is probably shagging his wife instead of tending to the garden.
    So because you've met a couple of hard-working Englishmen you think that has any bearing statistically? Have you worked in climatology?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Of course some folks like SASGuru will fall for it and hire the polish gardener who is probably shagging his wife instead of tending to the garden.
    Not a very likely contingency. You've never met sas's wife have you?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    England isn't overcrowded. And I can't believe you put animal rights in the same sentence as gay and women's rights. What kind of mixed up hippy facist are you?!

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I had a similar experience with a couple of british lads who did some work for me over the weekend. Mrs PL managed to prang the side of her car a week or so ago. These two lads turned up 9am Sat morning and masked the entire part of the garage in white plastic, brought all the required equipment including heaters, lighting, extractors, compressor, panel beating tools, buffer etc.

Mrs' car looks fantastic and they noticed a scratch on my bumper which they did gratis. In all it took them until 8pm Sunday eve. All it cost me was a couple of hundred quid, a box of tea bags and a few packs of foxs creams.

Anyone who thinks all british are a bunch of feckless layabouts isn't looking properly.

Mind you this could be because there are no East Europeans living near my part of eden.
    WPLS

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    it is not the easy going Christianity of the CofE.
    Is that the same "easy going" christianity that even to this day forbids the heir to the throne marrying, or even deciding to become a Catholic?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    We suffer their drawbacks of lack of integration today, our own drawbacks of a complacent lazy society tomorrow or after a generation or two anyway. Not to mention a greatly overcrowded country. It sounds less than sensible; we should be tackling our own problems like welfare, booze and unmarried mothers rather than continually spending billions on trying to integrate others.

And subsidising some of them via our taxes. As I said, check out the realities with the ONS rather than parrot the permitted line. Welfare, prison population, health and social housing levels are worse for some major ethnic groups and we are not talking percentage points but multiples in some cases.

We should also build on the major progress we have made in the last hunderd years, things like the secular society, equality of treatment for women and gays and humane treatment of animals. Influence is a two way street and those gains are under threat or at least slowed by imported third world attitudes. To some extent even by the rise in Catholic influence from Eastern Europe, it is not the easy going Christianity of the CofE.

PS Specifically on Poles/Hungarians I would agree they are not a major problem. Romania (original subject of this thread), Lithunia rather different.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 1 March 2011, 18:20.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No, it almost certainly won't. People follow society
    My wife's a teacher in a school with a fair few Polish (or similar) kids and reports that they are hard-workers as a group. Also it's plain obvious that culture is passed down, how many polish kids born to Polish parents in the UK don't speak Polish?

It likely gets watered down over time/generations depending how insular their community is... but then when they are insular you complain they're not integrating (with our society of laziness).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X