• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rude Rhyme

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rude Rhyme"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Is wife beating to become compulsory?
    It already is in the North of the Country.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I went to a model railway exibition on Saturday and they had some 7 1/4" scale steam locos, that was real engineering!
    *cough*

ANORAK!

*cough*

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Yeh. I used to do electronics as a hobby until about 1986 when components stopped being proper man's things. A real man's hobby should involve large tools and lots of bashing. Still got a proper butch digital frequency meter I made, 1.2Mhz, nice big LED display, lots of 7490s and stuff with no silly letters on the end and the house lights dimmed whenever you plugged it in.
    I went to a model railway exibition on Saturday and they had some 7 1/4" scale steam locos, that was real engineering!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh. I used to do electronics as a hobby until about 1986 when components stopped being proper man's things. A real man's hobby should involve large tools and lots of bashing. Still got a proper butch digital frequency meter I made, 1.2Mhz, nice big LED display, lots of 7490s and stuff with no silly letters on the end and the house lights dimmed whenever you plugged it in.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's all a bit academic anyway, what with the advent of compact florescent lights. Black and brown look the same as do orange and red. They should just print numbers on them rather than so called 'different' colours, even if it would take a magnifying glass to read them. Anyway men can't identify more than about 3 different colours.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    We're all doomed and will soon all be out on the street rummaging through diseased piles of rotting refuse in some kind of Mad Max world.

he heh

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    political correctness gone mad. I havent read the link or anything, and I dont have a clue what its all about, but it's polical correctness gone mad.

where will it all end ?

thats what I want to know

We're all doomed and will soon all be out on the street rummaging through diseased piles of rotting refuse in some kind of Mad Max world.

Bagsy the razor boomerang and the car.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    political correctness gone mad. I havent read the link or anything, and I dont have a clue what its all about, but it's polical correctness gone mad.

where will it all end ?

thats what I want to know

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Except the first word was as resistor colour. Hardly polical correctness gone mad to object to that in a school.
    I think it is in order he got in trouble since it mentions rape, rather than some 'harmless' stereotype.
    The fact he was reprimanded rather than fired and banned from teaching means this is fair in my view. I'd like to think the school will keep him on based on his past reputation since he's near retirement anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    If I remember my old Electronics theory, it will have related to the colour coding system used to rate resistors.

This is basically Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Grey White

The old codger will have fallen foul of the old "Black Barstewards rape our young girls but virgins grow wise" maxim that was oft times chanted out in many a classroom in days of yore.............unless I've missed my guess.

HTH
    That's what jumped straight to my mind too, but that's the mnemonic I was taught and it stuck which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

It's not politically correct, but it's very effective.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Bristol Via Great Western

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    BBC News - Sussex teacher reprimanded over 'racist rhyme'

They don't include it, what was this filthy filth he half-told them?
    If I remember my old Electronics theory, it will have related to the colour coding system used to rate resistors.

This is basically Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Grey White

The old codger will have fallen foul of the old "Black Barstewards rape our young girls but virgins grow wise" maxim that was oft times chanted out in many a classroom in days of yore.............unless I've missed my guess.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Except the first word was as resistor colour. Hardly polical correctness gone mad to object to that in a school.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Didn't take long to find - here

Anyway, it sounds like an injustice if this teacher was simply repeating a mnemonic that had been undoubtedly used by others in the past.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 26 February 2011, 11:23.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Rude Rhyme

Rude Rhyme

BBC News - Sussex teacher reprimanded over 'racist rhyme'

They don't include it, what was this filthy filth he half-told them?

Working...
X