• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New great Mac feature"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I've got an iPad 0.1 - an iPod Touch - and I must say I'm still happy with it a year on. It does "just work". Battery life is a bit naff though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Going to buy an iPad 2 - I already feel that Apple will own me
    What's wrong with getting iPad 1 once the prices drop when 2 is released?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

I'll go for a Motorola Xoom when it hits these shores.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    They have to have a Mac ROM - it is possible to reflash some PC cards.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It was a joke... though on a serious note do they have an official list of "authorised Mac cards" or can you safely bung anything in?
    They have to have a Mac ROM - it is possible to reflash some PC cards. Tried it once and buggered the card....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I can on my PowerMac.

Also on this iMac, in theory! It's certainly detachable.
    It was a joke... though on a serious note do they have an official list of "authorised Mac cards" or can you safely bung anything in?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Apple don't let you change your graphics card, so problem solved.
    I can on my PowerMac.

Also on this iMac, in theory! It's certainly detachable.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I've heard you don't need to restart a Mac for that.
    Apple don't let you change your graphics card, so problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    That sounds like crap to me. I normally hibernate my PC and it updates Adobe, Java, etc just fine. Only certain Windows updates require restarts and I find the Mac updates are no different. The only time I restarted in recent memory was to change the graphics card.
    Do you run as a privileged user?

I suspect Spacecadet hit the nail on the head here:

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'm sure lots of applications do a reboot on update out of laziness - the developers can't be arsed checking if one is necessary so just do it by default.
    which rather reminds me of the apps I used to get a dozen years ago. Kept knocking them back because the installation packages didn't bother setting file ownership and protections properly. Of course running the result in a privileged account worked, but it was my job to ensure that end users could run this stuff without elevated privileges.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    The only time I restarted in recent memory was to change the graphics card.
    I've heard you don't need to restart a Mac for that.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    OTOH you don't actually have to restart your Mac as often as a PC.
    That sounds like crap to me. I normally hibernate my PC and it updates Adobe, Java, etc just fine. Only certain Windows updates require restarts and I find the Mac updates are no different. The only time I restarted in recent memory was to change the graphics card.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I used FoxIt for a while. But the nag screens annoyed me as much as Adobe's continual updates and bloatware.

Now I use notepad.
    can't say I've ever seen a nag screen in foxit

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I used FoxIt for a while. But the nag screens annoyed me as much as Adobe's continual updates and bloatware.

Now I use notepad.
    I haven't noticed the nag screens too much. You do need to concentrate when installing though, as by default it will make Ask your default search engine, add an Ask toolbar, add a shortcut to ebay and enable "safe reading mode". The last item is a real pain when trying to read a document containing URLs.

I said no to the lot

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    There's a developer preview of OSX 10.7 Lion now downloadable from Apple's Dev site - need a dev account tho.

Or peruse the usual sources!

Gonna try it later....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Now I use notepad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X