• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "We'd like to offer you a perm job"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    permanent job \per"ma*nent job \
    1 An appointment to work with 3 months employment security (until the next quarterly figures) and approximately one third of the income of a contractor
    2 A turd which won't flush away

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Every single ClientCo I've worked for has offered me a perm position. Every single one...
    Same here. Without fail.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Like a News of the World reporter I made my excuses and left.
    Smacked him in the gob and stropped off out of it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    agreed, I was offered a perm role recently and wouldn't have dreamed of a) taking it or b) being rude or disparaging about the offer
    Like a News of the World reporter I made my excuses and left.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Oh FFS, you contractors - it's a great complement saying that you are good enough to join glorious permiedom, if you are mad to decline it at least make it clear that you appreciate the offer.
    agreed, I was offered a perm role recently and wouldn't have dreamed of a) taking it or b) being rude or disparaging about the offer

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If that's the way you think contracting works, billing full-time with no gaps, of course.
    That is how it works! Since day 1 of my first contract almost 5 years ago I've had about 70 working days where I couldn't bill

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    I love how the permie managers think they are doing you a big favour by offering the poor contractor a permie role.
    I was thinking the exact same when I was reading the OP.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I left my last perm role at end of 2009 and was on 89k basic with 15% bonus and shares.

I would now only go back into perm for a very senior management or directors role.

I have a prelimnary offer for a role starting at the begin of 2012 in the USA. I plan to contract all this year and if all works out i plan to head off stateside
    next year.

Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If that's the way you think contracting works, billing full-time with no gaps, of course.
    True, but it has for the last 8 years (7 contracts), I see little reason for things to change significantly. To be totally fair, where I am from, £65k is actually considered a mega salary.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    WHS, I had one this week "We're paying £65k a year, plus........ a car!". Bloggs replies - "I'm billing 220 days a year at £650 a day, do the sums." Harsh but true.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Every single ClientCo I've worked for has offered me a perm position. Every single one...

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Why?
    Because they are your client.
    You should do all you can to butter up your client, because it raises the possibility of higher rates and better contracts.

On a related note, has anyone ever been offered a permie job that really did pay more than the contract equivalent? And did they turn it down because they preferred the freedom of contracting?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Oh FFS, you contractors - it's a great complement saying that you are good enough to join glorious permiedom, if you are mad to decline it at least make it clear that you appreciate the offer.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    WHS, I had one this week "We're paying £65k a year, plus........ a car!". Bloggs replies - "I'm billing 220 days a year at £650 a day, do the sums." Harsh but true.
    When I left my one and only permie role for my first contract I had my bosses boss take me aside and say "do you mind if I ask what they are paying you cos we'd like to keep you and I can offer you quite a big raise"

So I told him and he said "That's more than I'm getting, so good luck!"

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Did you have to provide your own mop and bucket?
    No it wasn't a job at Suityous house.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X