• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Inflation over 5% and rising"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by riiiiiich View Post
    Yeah, it is annoying isn't it, and all those adverts for "Have you been involved in an accident or broken a fingernail? Where there's blame, there's a claim!". Parasites.
    Absolutely.

With working from home for most of the last 12 months, the TV is usually on and the adverts for those companies make up a noticeable proportion during the day, it's our premiums that pay for the annoying ads.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Interest rates to rise, Mervyn King hints - Telegraph

Ooh, all the way up to the dizzy heights of 1.25%, when price inflation is probably in double figures.
    "The Bank of England topped up Governor Mervyn King's pension pot by £1.4m after deciding to award him an early payout in 2008. In his final 16 months as a member of the generous final-salary scheme, the Governor's pension pot grew by a third from £3.95m to £5.36m. By comparison, in the prior 12 months, it rose by £378,700."

Source: Bank of England boosts Mervyn King's pension by £1.4m - Telegraph

----

The guy gets his pension topped up by so much in one year where as most of other pensioners can't even get half decent interest rate on their savings and have to spent their capital, ffs.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Interest rates to rise, Mervyn King hints - Telegraph

Ooh, all the way up to the dizzy heights of 1.25%, when price inflation is probably in double figures.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    And my car insurance - up by 35% for an old git with full no-claims
    Good old internet - 35% increase from the company paying for Iggy Pop's pension.
    New kid on the block - echoice - 23% decrease from last year.
    Sorted

Inflation, what inflation?

In other news, I just paid 75p for a Yorkie bar.
    THAT'S 15 SHILLINGS

FFS - my school dinners used to be 7s6d a week!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Yeah, shocking wasn't it - mine too, Direct Line, full NC and history.

Might look into changing that one, despite having a fully loaded policy (legal aid, spare car, prostitute etc)
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Mine went down this year, but I don't have any of the trimmings
    Fnar fnar

Leave a comment:

• riiiiiich
    replied
    Yeah, it is annoying isn't it, and all those adverts for "Have you been involved in an accident or broken a fingernail? Where there's blame, there's a claim!". Parasites.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And that would justify what seems to be more or less across the board increase of 20%+?

Surely those "crash for cash" made up accidents should be investigated and people who do it should go to jail, instead insurance companies just increase rates all of a sudden - did number of accidents go up by that much?!?!
    I've been hearing the cash for crash line for some years, though that isn't incompatible with it increasing 20% a year. If it is increasing (and rises are not just due to rampant inflation, or indeed if car insurance premiums are even going up) perhaps it's part of the cash for blame culture we seem to be adopting from America. In town here they even have a bunch of street selling 'solicitors' would stop to ask you if you want to blame someone for anything. A trip/fall or something along those lines I think. No win no fee.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    An actuary friend of mine tells me the main reason for the increases is the proliferation of "crash for cash" incidents.
    And that would justify what seems to be more or less across the board increase of 20%+?

Surely those "crash for cash" made up accidents should be investigated and people who do it should go to jail, instead insurance companies just increase rates all of a sudden - did number of accidents go up by that much?!?!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    An actuary friend of mine tells me the main reason for the increases is the proliferation of "crash for cash" incidents.
    Yup, that ties in with what I'd been told too. When I was getting quotes in 2010 I checked with some of the people I worked with in insurance.

Staged accidents where both parties are in the know or where some poor schlep of a motorist gets set up and h00ge compensation claims arise are costing a fortune. The problem the insurers have is it's hard for the Police to prove the frauds.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Almost 50% increase in my quote last year, even with changing providers and extensive shopping around I ended up shelling out 30% more than the previous year.

The ambulance chaser claims companies, staged "accidents" and vast numbers of uninsured vehicles on the road hit all of us badly in the pocket.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I blame the Polish!!

Or have they all fooked off home again as it's better over there now. Thanks Gordon.
    As long as there's someone left to blame I'm sure you'll be happy.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Almost 50% increase in my quote last year, even with changing providers and extensive shopping around I ended up shelling out 30% more than the previous year.

The ambulance chaser claims companies, staged "accidents" and vast numbers of uninsured vehicles on the road hit all of us badly in the pocket.
    I blame the Polish!!

Or have they all fooked off home again as it's better over there now. Thanks Gordon.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post

Might look into changing that one, despite having a fully loaded policy (legal aid, spare car, prostitute etc)
    Mine went down this year, but I don't have any of the trimmings (though do have a big excess, £400 or something of that order).

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X