• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation over 5% and rising

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yes.

They removed optional luxuries such as: food, fuel, rent/mortgage etc.
    ...and added deflationary technological products such as iPods, PCs, LCD tellys and pink bunny vibrators to mask the increasing trend.

They didn't even have to consult Paul Daniels for that one. Although Debbie McGee insisted that some of the products were fit for purpose.
    Last edited by hyperD; 14 February 2011, 17:02.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Here are the actual basket items for 2010:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/article...d_Services.pdf

See pgs. 11 and 12 for the items that have been added to and removed from the basket.
      Last edited by Freamon; 14 February 2011, 18:27.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        This is what worries me. Well not me personally, but it will be bad news for everyone even if only a few hundred thousand people get repossessed.

Probably inevitable though.
        You mean you wont be ready to buy a nice house with cash? I know I will. How was this bad news exactly?

Comment

The Bank of England had better consider increasing interest rates then, by say 0.0000000000000000000000000000001%, to show that they are serious about tackling this unexpected and temporary rise in currency debasement. And make a huge song and dance about it too.

Edit: isn't it time we got rid of copper coins?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            The Bank of England had better consider increasing interest rates then, by say 0.0000000000000000000000000000001%, to show that they are serious about tackling this unexpected and temporary rise in currency debasement. And make a huge song and dance about it too.

Edit: isn't it time we got rid of copper coins?
            They already have - 1p and 2p coins are made of steel, with a very thin copper coating. Actual copper in the weight of a 1p or 2p coin is now worth far more than 2p.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              Here are the actual basket items for 2010:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/article...d_Services.pdf

See pgs. 11 and 12 for the items that have been added to and removed from the basket.
              Late to the party with this one....

Had a gander, quite a fascinating read - garlic bread!?!??! A leftover from a P Kay reference no doubt.

There should be only three items in the inflationary basket:

1. Mogas

2. Number of copper coins lodged in UK sofas

3. KFC Bargain Bucket ®

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                There should be only three items in the inflationary basket:

1. Mogas

2. Number of copper coins lodged in UK sofas

3. KFC Bargain Bucket ®
                And my car insurance - up by 35% for an old git with full no-claims

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                  Yeah, shocking wasn't it - mine too, Direct Line, full NC and history.

Might look into changing that one, despite having a fully loaded policy (legal aid, spare car, prostitute etc)

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Yeah, shocking wasn't it - mine too, Direct Line, full NC and history.

Might look into changing that one, despite having a fully loaded policy (legal aid, spare car, prostitute etc)
                    Mine went down this year, but I don't have any of the trimmings (though do have a big excess, £400 or something of that order).

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                      Almost 50% increase in my quote last year, even with changing providers and extensive shopping around I ended up shelling out 30% more than the previous year.

The ambulance chaser claims companies, staged "accidents" and vast numbers of uninsured vehicles on the road hit all of us badly in the pocket.

Comment

Working...
                      X