• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Favourite Piece of Classical Music"

Collapse

• Twilkes
    replied
    The Rite Of Spring by Stravinsky was when orchestral music really got down to business.

And John Williams ripped off the start of Part 2 for the desert music in Star Wars.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    For what it's worth, I think it's unfair that O Fortuna gets all the glory, because it isn't even in my top 5 tunes of Carmina Burana.

Also, if you were fortunate enough to waste thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money learning Latin, the words to "in taberna quando sumus" and "olim lacus colueram" are dead funny

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You say Car-mee-na, I say Car-mine-a
    You say Bur-ah-na, I say Bur-ay-na

Ah, let's Carl the whole thing Orff.

Did the whole of Carmina Burana 25 years ago or so, in the school choir. Quite fun to sing.

I can't sing (well I can, but really badly) but I'd imagine it would be fun!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Leningrad Symphony - Shostakovich.
    Knowing the history of this while listening to it makes the goosebumps rise.
    Composed during the siege of Leningrad, it's premiere was attended by the starving citizens dressed in what finery they had. Loudspeakers at the front blasted it to the German lines.

As a gesture of defiance, truly magnificent.
    WHS. Knowing the history really does make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.

Ralph Vaughan Williams
    absolutely sublime that one simply awesome.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    WHS

I like most stuff but the piece that makes all the hair stand up on the back of my neck is O Fortuna (I think thats what it's called) from Carmina Burana.
    You say Car-mee-na, I say Car-mine-a
    You say Bur-ah-na, I say Bur-ay-na

Ah, let's Carl the whole thing Orff.

Did the whole of Carmina Burana 25 years ago or so, in the school choir. Quite fun to sing.

Leave a comment:

• Glazza
    replied
    Check out Sibelius violin concerto - third movement really rocks

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Bach's Air on the G String if it's the advert I'm thinking of.
    Yep.

Youtube: CDP Classic ads - Hamlet Cigars (1966 - 1997)

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Danse macabre - Saint-Saëns

A modern piece I like is Lux Eternae from the Requiem For a Dream soundtrack, but it's been used to death in just about everything - Sky Sports, Lord of the Rings trailers, players walking out before football matches, anything dramatic basically.
    That tune from Kill Bill Volume 1* was similarly destroyed when they used it as the introduction music for X-Idol's-Got-Talent acts as they walked out on stage to perform. Not to mention just about everything else.

* I think it's called Battle Without Honour or Humanity, but I might be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Leningrad Symphony - Shostakovich.
    Knowing the history of this while listening to it makes the goosebumps rise.
    Composed during the siege of Leningrad, it's premiere was attended by the starving citizens dressed in what finery they had. Loudspeakers at the front blasted it to the German lines.

As a gesture of defiance, truly magnificent.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Danse macabre - Saint-Saëns

A modern piece I like is Lux Eternae from the Requiem For a Dream soundtrack, but it's been used to death in just about everything - Sky Sports, Lord of the Rings trailers, players walking out before football matches, anything dramatic basically.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Mozart - Requiem

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Also like Prokofiev "Montagues & Capulets"
    Like O Fortuna, it's a bit overused now. There's probably a lot of people who just think of it as the music from The Apprentice.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Valkyries is great but a bit OTT for my personal taste, I love Barber's Adagio for Strings.

What's the one off the Hamlet adverts from years ago?
    Bach's Air on the G String if it's the advert I'm thinking of.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Valkyries is great but a bit OTT for my personal taste, I love Barber's Adagio for Strings.

What's the one off the Hamlet adverts from years ago?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X