• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The joys of commuting by air"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I used to know a commercial pilot (father of a friend) who worked for various airlines in Africa, apparently landing under fire or with a few bits of the aircraft shot off was routine.
    He had a chunk of missile tail fin set in perspex on the mantlepiece, they had recovered the intact missile from the fin engine of one of the 3 engined type liners, something had gone wrong with the bit that should have made it go bang, but the heat seeking bit must have worked Ok.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I remember flying to South Africa once on a 747 and looking out the wing and there were 3 engines. Apparently they had to drop one off in Frankfurt for another plane and this was the usual method, strap it to the wing.
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    3 engines? So they had already dropped 1 off?
    2 either side shirley?

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I remember flying to South Africa once on a 747 and looking out the wing and there were 3 engines. Apparently they had to drop one off in Frankfurt for another plane and this was the usual method, strap it to the wing.
    3 engines? So they had already dropped 1 off?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Beeb Linky

Six people have been killed and six others injured after a small plane travelling from Belfast crashed in fog at Cork Airport.

The Manx2 commuter flight with 10 passengers and two crew on board crashed on the runway on its third attempt to land before 1000 GMT.
    Not nice reading.

Leaving for the airport in an hour.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Did you see that documentary a while back called 'The Boy Who Lived Before'? About a Glasgow lad about six, hardly been out of Glasgow, kept talking about his family and life in Barra and his Barra-Mam. Creepy, nearest thing I've seen to 'there is something to it...'

The Boy Who Lived Before | Watch Free Documentary Online
    I haven't seen that, spooky. Thanks for link to the vids!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Would like to do the landing on the beach on Barra sometime. The airline schedule is dictated by the tides.
    Did you see that documentary a while back called 'The Boy Who Lived Before'? About a Glasgow lad about six, hardly been out of Glasgow, kept talking about his family and life in Barra and his Barra-Mam. Creepy, nearest thing I've seen to 'there is something to it...'

The Boy Who Lived Before | Watch Free Documentary Online

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Glasgow to Stornoway in the tail end of a gale is not much fun. Was years ago know, but I remember loafing my head of the bulkhead as we were buffeted about.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Landed on the snow once in Siberia, was really nice!
    Would like to do the landing on the beach on Barra sometime. The airline schedule is dictated by the tides.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Landed on the snow once in Siberia, was really nice!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Found out years later that modern planes can take a much worse battering than that and still be ok.
    The plane will take more than you can. Turbulence is uncomfortable but rarely a major problem, it can hit without warning so always a wise move to keep your seatbelt on at all times, no desire to experience uncontrolled weightlessness.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Worst one was in a DC9 (or 10 I think) can't remember the route, '89ish. The turbulence was so bad one or two were injured hitting the cabin ceiling. Luggage, drinks/food everywhere. Was a bloody nightmare, genuinely thought we were going down. Found out years later that modern planes can take a much worse battering than that and still be ok.

A recent hairy moment was landing at CPT during a storm on a Comair domestic flight (727 i think). I clearly remember the crosswind being so strong the wings nearly touched the tarmac on landing (at least that's how it looked) - pilot swung it round just in time. I was watching the ailerons slam about with his corrections, Mrs RH was attempting to leave a permanent imprint of her hands on mine. Spontaneous applause from the passengers is usually an indication of how scared they've just been.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Flying out of Gatwick circa 1990, the passengers on the right hand side of the 'plane suddenly started making a fuss. Apparently the pilot of the oncoming 'plane that just passed our wing was reading the Daily Mail.

Landing at Puerto Rico or Miami, I forget which, circa 2000, the landing felt very smooth indeed. Sadly it was just ground effect. Some way along the runway we suddenly dropped the last couple of feet and then skidded like feck along the last bit of tarmac and finished up with the front wheel on the grass, facing the boundary fence.

My bruvva on a flight from London to Gibraltar: they had been kicked off their 'plane in London as it had a fault and transferred to a different one. As they are landing at Gibraltar, suddenly the engine speed went up again and the pilot took off again. As he flew round the rock he announced "Sorry, chaps, forgot I picked up a bigger bird back in Blighty. This girl needs a bit more room to land. Nearly plopped off the end into the drink, ha ha! Bear with me while we just whizz round for another go, what? Wish me luck." Silly arse!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Hmmm have had some interesting experiences over the years including landing at the old Kai-Tak (sp?) airport in HK in the monsoon..
    But the worst one was a "simple" flight from London to Paris in a Dan-Air (otherwise known as Dan-dare"). Landing in a rust bucket in 80 mph winds - that was the worst flying experience I've had. Lucky you could smoke in those days - must have gone through 1 pack in half an hour. Lots of wailing and crying from female passengers, I was tensed rigid waiting for the impact as it seemed we were being thrown around with no input from pilots.
    After landing, this immensely calm home counties voice comes on and says in true "Right Stuff" style:
    "Well we seem to have had some slight turbulence there ...."
    Could have strangled him although I had to laugh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X