• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tracing family tree stuff - any experiences?"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I wouldn't mind getting all my DNA sequenced.

I wonder how big the ZIP file would be. Well not to worry, I have several 2 Tbyte disks.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I recommend these

Great gift ideas | From You To Me Gift Journals and Cards

If you are starting to look at family trees or gathering family information.

Only £11.95 or £9.95 from my Ebay site.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Back to 1700s on both sides. No-one of any note at all. No non-English people either (I mention this because people keep saying stuff like "ah well everyone's got a bit of Irish in their family" etc). That has changed however as her indoors is Irish.

Edit: frogot to mention the big break on my Dad's side came from a bloke on Genes Reunited. This led me to locate (and arrange for the repair of) my great grandparent's gravestone.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    This was a rather good read
    Sounds good - I may order that, although I don't have time to read much fiction these days.

(Last one I read was The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. When I mentioned that in one of those "What I've been reading this week" threads, someone said it was a big anticlimax, and although I enjoyed reading it that turned out to be all too true. Apart from anything else, she missed a greast opportunity for a sequel. Still I wouldn't be surprised if it is made into a film.)

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    In all the hundreds of years the law was in effect, no one was ever convicted of the felony of "setting ocean lights" (putting lanterns on dangerous shore rocks at night, to imitate a lighthouse and try and lure ships ito running aground so they could be looted).

So either your Cornish ancestors were very crafty, or it was never really done.
    This was a rather good read

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

I was somewhat disappointed that none of the Cornish branch were ever hanged for piracy or wrecking.
    In all the hundreds of years the law was in effect, no one was ever convicted of the felony of "setting ocean lights" (putting lanterns on dangerous shore rocks at night, to imitate a lighthouse and try and lure ships ito running aground so they could be looted).

So either your Cornish ancestors were very crafty, or it was never really done.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Not sure if being descended from Royalty or Scottish stock is the worst yet.
    I suspect your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    My sister is well in to this type of stuff. Did her degree in it a while back and does it for other people

She's just done one side of our family(the other is a mystery) and traced it back to King James VI so far which is a bit of a shock as we are supposed to be descended from Robert Blake on the other side.

Not sure if being descended from Royalty or Scottish stock is the worst yet.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    I tried this last year. Joined Ancestry for about £8 a month. This, among other things, gives you access to the birth/deaths registers and the 1800s census records which are the most useful. Something people don't realise, unless you've done this yourself, is that birth and death records can not been seen online. You can only see a record of a death that gives you the identity of the certificate that you then have to pay to get a copy of. Don't pay through the search service you are using, go direct to the government service, it is about half the cost per certificate. The search engines can be very frustrating and it is often very difficult to find the exact match for your ancestor so you can't always be confident when getting the certificate reference. Just hope you have very uncommon family names.

I also recommend you use a family tree tool to record all of your findings. It can get out of hand very quickly and a graphical presentation is a boon. I used MacFamilyTree.

Good luck in your searches. The only thing I found illuminating was the size of families and the infant mortalities.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    If you want to trace people in Canada try their national archive. It has a great collection of immigration and military records.
    The Australian national Archive
    For NZ BMDs

They are all free to search, but the records may be locked for up to 100 years.

Our National Archives operate a pay-per-download system (or you can order printed docs on line). You can often get access to useful summary info for free though. I found some interesting transportation records on there (one of the distant relatives was a soldier guarding the poor sods).

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    I looked up my family and found I had a half sister I didn't know about

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    familysearch.org is the site for searching the Mormon's records.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    That freeBDM looks good cheers. I would also be an ancesteor of Richard Doyle, the cartoonist who drew the first ever cover illustration for Punch.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I spent a couple of years tracing family tree using genesreunited to document it. The Mormons have a website which you can use for searches. There's freeBDM, which is an online births/deaths/marriages repository. And there's various pay services to get census and other info.

I found that my great great grandfather was the great great grandfather of one world figure. His branch of the family were involved in SOE during WW2. My branch ... school teachers!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I've got a diamond ring, which is said to have belonged to the Earl of Kilmarnock who was beheaded in the Tower of London. Have spent some time trying to prove the family connection but haven't got there yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X