• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Wisdom Teeth

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wisdom Teeth"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    For once I'm being serious.

My dentist told me this exact same thing. Wisdom teeth are at a funny angle and I should have them all out to prevent pain and problems down the line. He even showed me the x-rays.

This was 25 years ago.

Still awaiting any pain or problems.
    WHS - Told exactly the same 20 years ago, and just said no - If it ain't broke don't fix it. The dentist went into a sulk, muttering about me questioning his professional judgement, but who cares. I just walked out and found another.

It's a nice little earner for dentists. Just say you'll think about it, and don't go back until they start hurting (which they probably never will).

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    The surgeon mentioned that there is a nerve running across the jaw and if nicked you could lose the use of your tongue
    Oh, forgot about that. The nice part is that you can't feel your tongue for hours after anyway because of the anasthetic so you just have to wait and see if the feeling comes back

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    The surgeon mentioned that there is a nerve running across the jaw and if nicked you could lose the use of your tongue

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I had all four taken out at hospital and had to stop the night before.

Mouth was a mess after and it was a while before I could eat rice.

Swill mouth with warm salt water to help the healing process.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Is this in Germany or the UK?
    Germany, private health insurance

and it's a female dentist FWIW although she has said i should go consult with a surgeon to talk about the way I want them removed

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied

My dentist told me this exact same thing. Wisdom teeth are at a funny angle and I should have them all out to prevent pain and problems down the line. He even showed me the x-rays.

This was 25 years ago.

Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
    I was told when I was 18 that I would need my wisdom teeth out as they were going to cause issues.....

24 years later, the...wisdom teeth are trouble free.
    ^WTS

Was told the same at a similar age and was booked in to have them removed but (purposely) missed my appointment.

Never really had any problems with them as, thankfully, they developed at the correct angle.

The last few years, I have had some pain near one of the wisdom teeth, which I attributed to not having it removed, but I now think it might have been due to a dying nerve in another tooth - see my root canal thread from last week.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If you don't have any pain why bother.

If they poke through the gum they can cause gum infection.

I had mine out but they caused pain right from the word go. They pushed on the other back teeth which caused them to ache sometimes. But the worse bit was the infections because they just poked through the gum and you couldn't really clean them so the gum got infected.
    This is what happens with one of my wisdom teeth - it is partially erupted and has created a small pocket in the gum where food debris can get caught.

On occasion, if I haven't brushed thoroughly, it can cause the gum to get inflamed but it settles within a few days of targetted cleaning/salt water treatment and, thankfully, hasn't happened for a while.

With that all said, it does sometime feel as if I have too many teeth in the back of my gob!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied

This was 25 years ago.

hmm yep, that's my current way of thinking, although I thought I better have a plan just in case although the xrays are pretty grim but then I never did take a good photo..

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied

This was 25 years ago.

Normally i would never agree with anything Dim says or does but in this instance, don't fix what ain't broken

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    cut as they are beneath a thin layer of bone and angled towards the other teeth.. it seems you're confirming what I already thought, Gas and be done with the horror rather than watching up close and personal
    had all four of mine removed. The top ones were out but were at a odd angle and were rotting as I could not get at them with my tooth brush. The bottom ones were horizontal and just part of them above the bone and formed a nice pit for food to drop into.
    I got knocked out intravenously (don't think they use gas anymore do they?) and I was laid out for three days afterwards on mega painkillers. They use dissolving stitches which will just go away on their own, nice.

get knocked out..you'll appreciate it. though take it very easy when you wake or you might...umm..err..vomit.

Leave a comment:

• ilovehr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
    As an aside, why do dentists have the biggest fingers you can imagine - when mine comes at me it's like being mauled by a bunch of pork sausages!
    They're specially selected so that the dentist team can beat the gynaecologists in the annual healthcare practitioners' thumb war championships.

Leave a comment:

• ilovehr
    replied
    Same for me!

This was 25 years ago.

I was told when I was 18 that I would need my wisdom teeth out as they were going to cause issues.....

24 years later, the rest of my teeth are falling to bits but the wisdom teeth are trouble free.

As an aside, why do dentists have the biggest fingers you can imagine - when mine comes at me it's like being mauled by a bunch of pork sausages!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Save some money by locking your girlfriend out of the house for a couple of days. She'll soon kick them out for you.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If you don't have any pain why bother.

If they poke through the gum they can cause gum infection.

I had mine out but they caused pain right from the word go. They pushed on the other back teeth which caused them to ache sometimes. But the worse bit was the infections because they just poked through the gum and you couldn't really clean them so the gum got infected.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I'd go with a getting a second opinion option.
    He's probably a c**t as well as having wonky teeth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X