• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toothy dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    PM me for details if you want. My dentist is tops for pain free root canal and crown work. He is based in Prague an cheaper than the UK
    Thanks Paddy.

I happily shop around for lower prices for most large purchases but am normally not sure when it comes to personal services like dental work.

Having said that, can you PM me the details anyway as well as some idea of how much you paid and when.

I have a couple of good friends who are dentists and I'm going to drop one of them a note to get his view of the prices I have been quoted.

He may offer me a reduced price but I need to way any potential cost saving, either from him or going overseas, against my existing good relationship with my current dentist.

I'm not sure how she would feel if I strolled in six months from now for my regular check-up with my tooth all sorted via another dentist.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Thanks Paddy.

I happily shop around for lower prices for most large purchases but am normally not sure when it comes to personal services like dental work.

Having said that, can you PM me the details anyway as well as some idea of how much you paid and when.

I have a couple of good friends who are dentists and I'm going to drop one of them a note to get his view of the prices I have been quoted.

He may offer me a reduced price but I need to way any potential cost saving, either from him or going overseas, against my existing good relationship with my current dentist.

I'm not sure how she would feel if I strolled in six months from now for my regular check-up with my tooth all sorted via another dentist.
      I need a crown. My dentist said 590 quid. I also need a bridge as a result of a failing crown. This was going to be rather more.

A number of the local dentists are taking new NHS patients. 198 quid the lot.

Comment

Our local NHS dental practice is staffed by Indian dentists and Eastern European reception and dental assistant staff. All the 'locals' have gone private the greedy ****s!
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

750 quid is a rip off. Find a dentist that's taking NHS registrations and get it done under the NHS. You probably don't need a crown (root canals can be done with fillings). Pay an extra £60 or so and go private for the filling part to get a resin white filling rather than nasty metal ones.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
            ...Find a dentist that's taking NHS registrations...

Comment

Is it safe?

Comment

I had 3 root canals, a bridge and a crown done last year for around GBP2000 here in only 3 visits to the dentist. The crown had to be done as someone had shoved me in the pub and I fell against a table breaking one of my front teeth. I found the half on the floor and went to an emergency dentist the next day, showed him the broken tooth and suggested that maybe he could just glue it back together. Walked around for the best part of a year with a broken tooth (which didn't affect any interviews or meetings at all even though I didn't look exactly A1) as I was too scared to go to the dentist.

Admittedly my health insurer paid for some of it but it all went well apart from the fact I'm tulip at dentists. All done with just some injections into the gums and a lot fo sweating from me. I think she wants to do another root or pull a tooth out next...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I must admit that's what I thought, and then I looked on the NHS website. No problems at all in my area.

Anyway, Gordon promised more NHS dentists and easier access, so it must be true.

Comment

Having spent a fair bit on dentistry after half a lifetime of neglect, I can say that for private prices, that is quite reasonable.

The work done on the NHS is usually of lower quality, using lower quality materials. A crown should last for 10-15 years. The one I had done on the NHS lasted 5.

I've since had all my fillings replaced with CEREC inlays and crowns. They feel great and look pretty good.

One of them failed as my bite changed after I had a wisdom tooth removed . Dentist re-did the work for free. I imagine I would have had to pay again on the NHS.

I think that this is one occasion where you get what you pay for...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

There will usually be an NHS dentist hospital close but you are going to be getting treatment from students, free of course.

I have had one filling in 25 years, do you guys brush your teeth?

Comment

Working...
                      X