• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rate rises

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rate rises"

Collapse

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I get £1 per hour more than when I worked for the same client 5 years ago.
    I'm on the same rate as of mid 2008 at the same client. I am not complaining though as all other offers have been at significantly lower rates. And day rates. I like hourly rates.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

How's the sofa coming along?
    La Infestazione

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I get £1 per hour more than when I worked for the same client 5 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Why pay £500 per day IT contractor when permie can be hired for a lot less than that? 260 days x £500 = £130k - that's $200k which was not far off salary of US president (he got increase some years ago).

IMHO anyone who expects to be paid £750-1000 for a DAY of work on effectively full time basis has never run a proper business that needs to EARN money FIRST and then PAY employees (not yourself). How many of you would hire such person (who is not connected to you) and pay them proper rates like this?

Some of you guys (if not most) have totally lost sense of reality - there are a LOT of people in UK who get paid less than £20k a YEAR, hell how about pensioners surviving on 0% interest rates paid on their savings?

FFS, those of you on the bench who claim to have any relevance to IT should not be posting tulip on CUK or anywhere when benched but take part in doing Plan B - ffs, get off your lazy arses and get on the road to true independence - Plan B.

I am off to office now - that was meant to be my day off celebrating change of prepaid meter to new one
    Last edited by AtW; 19 January 2011, 13:38.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Come April, the threshold at which the higher rate of tax is payable comes DOWN. So a rate rise is needed just to maintain take home pay.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    IT workers should be minimum of £1000 a day by now, given people were earning £300 over £550 a decade ago.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Im about 12-15% above last year. Still avoiding London, but I've been driving more.

Just given notice on a contract to take another which is £30 per day less, but reduces a 2 1/2 hour - 80 mile drive to a 10 minute - 4 mile drive per day(I may even walk it)

Plus new contract runs until end of June with an offer of two years project work in total.

So even though it's not what I want to be doing, it seems stupid to not take it.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    I wiggled another tenner a day out of the agency last month at renewal. Not a lot I agree, but any more 'rocking of the boat' and I would've got replaced by a chimp I'm guessing.

I think if you've got that 'I don't care whether I'm working here or not' attitude then it makes it a lot easier...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I can't see the market standing a rate increase. My area of expertise is already dead as a dodo and when this job finishes around June, I'm bracing myself to take a rate similar to what I was getting 8 or so years ago just to stay in work. After all, 100% of a rubbish rate is a lot more than 0% of a top rate.
    That's not the attitude that made Britain great.

Often you can get a rate rise by squeezing the balls of the greasy agent taking a big cut for doing FA.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I can't see the market standing a rate increase. My area of expertise is already dead as a dodo and when this job finishes around June, I'm bracing myself to take a rate similar to what I was getting 8 or so years ago just to stay in work. After all, 100% of a rubbish rate is a lot more than 0% of a top rate.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Inflation heading for 5% soon.

Who knows where it will get to?

So the question is, who has the balls to start upping rates.

It's not a question of greed, it's a question of maintaing buying power against a backdrop of huge price increases in the cost of living.

It takes back bone to ask for more money and I'm not sure the younger (New Labour) educated ones here have the balls to be honest.
    I normaly ask for higher rate with each new contract. So far so good.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Does Bob trim trees?

You're beginning to understand. The added value provided in this case is physical presence. Bob can't cut the tree virtually.
    The solution for the soon-to-be mass-unemployed IT workers is to do manual work that requires a body present.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Upped my rate by approx 10% last year

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Upped my rate by approx 10% last year

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Why should I pay you £1000 a day when Bob will do it only slightly worse for £25?
    You IT plebs really need to start understanding the concept of added value.
    Does Bob trim trees?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X