• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Inflation heading for 5% soon.

Who knows where it will get to?

So the question is, who has the balls to start upping rates.

It's not a question of greed, it's a question of maintaing buying power against a backdrop of huge price increases in the cost of living.

It takes back bone to ask for more money and I'm not sure the younger (New Labour) educated ones here have the balls to be honest.
    I normaly ask for higher rate with each new contract. So far so good.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I can't see the market standing a rate increase. My area of expertise is already dead as a dodo and when this job finishes around June, I'm bracing myself to take a rate similar to what I was getting 8 or so years ago just to stay in work. After all, 100% of a rubbish rate is a lot more than 0% of a top rate.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        I can't see the market standing a rate increase. My area of expertise is already dead as a dodo and when this job finishes around June, I'm bracing myself to take a rate similar to what I was getting 8 or so years ago just to stay in work. After all, 100% of a rubbish rate is a lot more than 0% of a top rate.
        That's not the attitude that made Britain great.

Often you can get a rate rise by squeezing the balls of the greasy agent taking a big cut for doing FA.

Comment

I wiggled another tenner a day out of the agency last month at renewal. Not a lot I agree, but any more 'rocking of the boat' and I would've got replaced by a chimp I'm guessing.

I think if you've got that 'I don't care whether I'm working here or not' attitude then it makes it a lot easier...

Comment

Im about 12-15% above last year. Still avoiding London, but I've been driving more.

Just given notice on a contract to take another which is £30 per day less, but reduces a 2 1/2 hour - 80 mile drive to a 10 minute - 4 mile drive per day(I may even walk it)

Plus new contract runs until end of June with an offer of two years project work in total.

So even though it's not what I want to be doing, it seems stupid to not take it.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              IT workers should be minimum of £1000 a day by now, given people were earning £300 over £550 a decade ago.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Come April, the threshold at which the higher rate of tax is payable comes DOWN. So a rate rise is needed just to maintain take home pay.
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Why pay £500 per day IT contractor when permie can be hired for a lot less than that? 260 days x £500 = £130k - that's $200k which was not far off salary of US president (he got increase some years ago).

IMHO anyone who expects to be paid £750-1000 for a DAY of work on effectively full time basis has never run a proper business that needs to EARN money FIRST and then PAY employees (not yourself). How many of you would hire such person (who is not connected to you) and pay them proper rates like this?

Some of you guys (if not most) have totally lost sense of reality - there are a LOT of people in UK who get paid less than £20k a YEAR, hell how about pensioners surviving on 0% interest rates paid on their savings?

FFS, those of you on the bench who claim to have any relevance to IT should not be posting tulip on CUK or anywhere when benched but take part in doing Plan B - ffs, get off your lazy arses and get on the road to true independence - Plan B.

I am off to office now - that was meant to be my day off celebrating change of prepaid meter to new one
                  Last edited by AtW; 19 January 2011, 13:38.

Comment

I get £1 per hour more than when I worked for the same client 5 years ago.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

How's the sofa coming along?
                      La Infestazione
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X