• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is your ideal career?"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Just yesterday I read about HMG's bizarre "You Be The Judge" site (N.B.: Flash required to witness the fail in all its refulgent splendour). This nonsense cost the Ministry of Justice (a thing I thought one only found in third world dictatorships) £56,403.60 ex VAT.
    This sort of thing is the reason the potholes on our roads aren't getting filled in!!!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Just yesterday I read about HMG's bizarre "You Be The Judge" site (N.B.: Flash required to witness the fail in all its refulgent splendour). This nonsense cost the Ministry of Justice (a thing I thought one only found in third world dictatorships) £56,403.60 ex VAT. The MeejaLaw site, who revealed this information after an FoI request, also quoted the MoJ's proud boast of how they had kept the costs down:
    Design, coding and technical build of the interactive guide was carried out by “internal web resources who were simultaneously working on other activities”.
    (my emphasis)

Not "our web developers" nor "our own staff" nor "our employees" but "internal web resources". I bet they feel really appreciated by their employer when they're made to juggle multiple projects and then see themselves described in such terms
    That is one godawful web site. WTF are you supposed to do with it?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I'm crap at painting - not just pictures, but easy stuff like doors and such

Indeed

Just yesterday I read about HMG's bizarre "You Be The Judge" site (N.B.: Flash required to witness the fail in all its refulgent splendour). This nonsense cost the Ministry of Justice (a thing I thought one only found in third world dictatorships) £56,403.60 ex VAT. The MeejaLaw site, who revealed this information after an FoI request, also quoted the MoJ's proud boast of how they had kept the costs down:

You be the Judge. Hardly representitive was it. They were all middle classed white people on the videos.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    FFS, we're human. We can hunt, we can nurture. We can kill, we can heal. We can be cruel, we can rescue. We can invent, create, build and destroy. We can all cook, clean, think, communicate, reproduce, travel, imagine, sit, stand, paint, sing, laugh, cry.
    I'm crap at painting - not just pictures, but easy stuff like doors and such

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    While we're on the subject (approximately), let me just rant about how offensive I consider the term 'Human Resources'.
    Indeed

Design, coding and technical build of the interactive guide was carried out by “internal web resources who were simultaneously working on other activities”.
    (my emphasis)

Not "our web developers" nor "our own staff" nor "our employees" but "internal web resources". I bet they feel really appreciated by their employer when they're made to juggle multiple projects and then see themselves described in such terms

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    Administrator

Have to say the detailed explanation of the personality type was pretty accurate.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    While we're on the subject (approximately), let me just rant about how offensive I consider the term 'Human Resources'. I am not a human resource. I am a human being.
    Would you rather they called it the "Everybody's special" department?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    CUK moderator.

I'd bring order to this place even if I have to ban everyone on here!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I once asked a project manager if he called his kids resources.

"Resource 3, you are on dishes tonight, resource 1, you are on drying"

The way he spoke it was quite possible.
    Is that why so many on here refer to their sprogs as DS1, DD2 etc?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I got:

ISTJ "Trustee" These are dependable pillars of strength. They often try to reform their mates and other people. They make good bank examiners, auditors, accountants, and phys. ed. teachers, and boy or girl scouts! 6% of the total population.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Typical reaction from an ISxJ.
    I think I walked into that

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I've done it twice now, as some of my answers were "well, sometimes this, sometimes that"

Both times, I didn't much recognise the personality descriptions which resulted

First was ISFJ, second was ISTJ, so I guess the Thinker/Feeler part of me depends on the situation

I agree with RC, what bollix
    Typical reaction from an ISxJ.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    While we're on the subject (approximately), let me just rant about how offensive I consider the term 'Human Resources'. I am not a human resource. I am a human being. 'Human Resources' suggest to me a dark, dank cellar in the Hadean depths of the corporation where arms, legs, torsos, heads (empty) and other assorted organs are sorted, stamped, filed and archived for future exploitation by the disturbed megalomaniacs of the board room, or worse still, middle management, who can then mark the usage of organs and limbs against a spreadsheet, producing red and green cells indicating conformity to some vacuous 'Key Process Indicator' and demonstrating opportunities for such simple cost savings as cutting off employees' legs to reduce worktime breaks and calorie usage.

Yuck.
    I once asked a project manager if he called his kids resources.

"Resource 3, you are on dishes tonight, resource 1, you are on drying"

The way he spoke it was quite possible.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    all HR departments are filled with identi-kit, skinny, fake-blonde, unskilled, air-heads
    Thank god for that. If I had to rely on IT totty I'd go mental.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I've done it twice now, as some of my answers were "well, sometimes this, sometimes that"

Both times, I didn't much recognise the personality descriptions which resulted

First was ISFJ, second was ISTJ, so I guess the Thinker/Feeler part of me depends on the situation

I agree with RC, what bollix

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    While we're on the subject (approximately), let me just rant about how offensive I consider the term 'Human Resources'. I am not a human resource. I am a human being. 'Human Resources' suggest to me a dark, dank cellar in the Hadean depths of the corporation where arms, legs, torsos, heads (empty) and other assorted organs are sorted, stamped, filed and archived for future exploitation by the disturbed megalomaniacs of the board room, or worse still, middle management, who can then mark the usage of organs and limbs against a spreadsheet, producing red and green cells indicating conformity to some vacuous 'Key Process Indicator' and demonstrating opportunities for such simple cost savings as cutting off employees' legs to reduce worktime breaks and calorie usage.

Yuck.

Step away from the coffee machine. Put the caffeine down and step away from the coffee machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X