• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "We are Top of the League said we are TOPL!!!!!"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    From the late 60s into the mid 70s Celtic were the best team in Europe.

In 7 years they got 2 finals, 4 semi finals and, I think 6 quarter finals of the European Cup.

No mediocrity there.
    Ajax might argue with Celtic being the best. They won it three times in four finals during that period.

Celtic are on par with Steau Bucharest, Hamburg and Marseille. One win and one defeat in finals, the last being long ago.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    When Samaras rips through you it is the sign you have problems.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Happy new year.
    Same to you, roll on March.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I flucking hate football.

Still, suppose the best team on the day won. Well flucking done, bah humbug.
    Happy new year.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I flucking hate football.

Still, suppose the best team on the day won. Well flucking done, bah humbug.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Some unadulterated piffle............
    sasguru whizzes in on one of his virtual motorbikes for a fleeting visit, to remind us what a colossal dullard he is.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

In 7 years they got 2 finals, 4 semi finals and, I think 6 quarter finals of the European Cup.

No mediocrity there.

And the pictures were great...

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Some Celtic highlights;

Celtic beat Aberdeen in a Scottish Cup final, watched by a record crowd of 146,433 at Hampden Park. The attendance (sometimes reported as 147,365) remains a record for a club match in Europe.

Celtic win the Empire Exhibition Trophy by defeating Everton 1-0 at Ibrox after extra time in the final.

Celtic defeat Hibernian 2-0 in the final of the Coronation Cup, held to celebrate the crowning of Queen Elizabeth II. The invited teams included the best in Scotland and England, and the final attracted a crowd of 117,000 at Hampden Park.

Celtic reach the semi-final of the European Cup-Winners' Cup in only their second campaign in European competition, but lose 4-3 on aggregate to MTK Budapest.

Celtic complete their most glorious season by winning every competition entered: Scottish League, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Glasgow Cup and the European Cup. The climax of the season is the 2-1 victory over Inter Milan in the European Cup final played at the Estadio Nacional in Lisbon on May 25, 1967. Celtic thus become the first British (and non-Latin) club to win Europe's most coveted trophy.

Celtic reach the final of the European Cup again, but lose 2-1 to Feyenoord after extra time in Milan. In the semi-final Celtic defeated Leeds United in both legs. The second leg at Hampden Park was watched by 133,961, the largest crowd ever to watch a match in European club competition.

Celtic win the league championship for the ninth season in a row - at the time, a joint world record for success in domestic titles. The team reaches the semi-final of the European Cup for the fourth time, but loses 2-0 on aggregate to Atletico Madrid.

Billy McNeill, captain of the 1967 team, succeeds Jock Stein as manager. During Stein's 12-year tenure (excluding 1975/76, when he was recuperating from injuries received in a car accident), the club enjoyed 25 successes in major competitions: the European Cup, 10 Championships, 8 Scottish Cups and 6 League Cups.

Celtic celebrate the centenary season (1987/88) by winning the first "double" in 11 years. The accomplishment marks the 35th league title, and the 28th Scottish Cup.

Celtic win the Scottish Cup for the 29th time as Joe Miller's goal sinks Rangers by 1-0.

In Seville a brave Celtic side were beaten 3-2 in extra time by Porto in the final of the UEFA Cup - Celtic's first such final for 33 years.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Just in case anyone has missed this one, I'll summarise: SB, one of the many resident village idiots on here, has creamed his pants because the particular mediocre team he supports is temporarily in front of its perennially mediocre rival.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    How do you like them apples?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If Atw agrees with me, I recant my opinion
    Truly the Blind leading the Bland!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I agree with this decision as well.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Not to widdle on your haggis, but you're not top of "the" league. You're top of "a" league. A singularly unimpressive and unimportant one at that. I don't see anyone starting a thread about Brighton, which is comparable in world football terms.
    WHS

It's a pity though that Ranger/Celtic are not part of the real league - EPL - though they'd get relegated after first season and go back to SPL...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X