• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Snow news?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Snow news?"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    You've been snow free up until now? Cambridge?
    I thought that Nick was in Leicester, but I may be wrong.
    WPS - Cambridge was where I was gigging last year. There'd been the odd bit of snow to date but it was never more than a sprinkling and melted first thing in the morning. Now it's deep enough that I was in two minds about going to the GP, and the surgery's next door

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    There's some kind of madness going on near my place. I think someone has tried to drive down a steep side street and has become stuck. I don't know why that should involve 2 fire engines, the RAC and the police though, as well as blocking the major road the fire engines are parked on and seemingly doing nothing. Maybe they arrived just to have a laugh. It wouldn't be right for me to go out and gork.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    There was meant to be a large band of heavy snow over the midlands last night. It doesn't look like it reached this far south, although there are a few flakes falling. We still have about 3" worth from Saturday, though it was thawing a little yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

There was a satellite image shown on the front page of one of the papers yesterday (I forget which one), and from that could be seen some small areas of the UK that were still green (not white anyway). We only had about an inch in total. Lots of ice though.
    I thought that Nick was in Leicester, but I may be wrong.

I was in one of those little green areas, but it's snowing now, not much, maybe half-an-inch has settled.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The snow's finally arrived here - started late last night and still falling, looks like it's about three or four inches deep now
    It all melted on Monday here. It's 8° C outside.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The snow's finally arrived here - started late last night and still falling, looks like it's about three or four inches deep now

There was a satellite image shown on the front page of one of the papers yesterday (I forget which one), and from that could be seen some small areas of the UK that were still green (not white anyway). We only had about an inch in total. Lots of ice though.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    But some bloody coal on the fire as well then you daft twunt!
    3 stellas down at 1901 and I am felling quite toasty now.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Thanks...

I'm going to bypass Luton and go down the M42 / M40 - SY might ask me round his house...
    Cool.

You can have a peek at his missus when she's in bed.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Just be aware you might have a horrible delay on the M1 around Luton area, reduced lanes, bad driving conditions and roadworks.

Hope you get away ok, sounds like you need a break!
    Thanks...

I'm going to bypass Luton and go down the M42 / M40 - SY might ask me round his house...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Thanks for that - it's operating so far.

According to the BBC - BA are offering a refund but I still wouldn't mind getting away...

Tone
    Just be aware you might have a horrible delay on the M1 around Luton area, reduced lanes, bad driving conditions and roadworks.

Hope you get away ok, sounds like you need a break!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    This was us at lunch time today:

Last edited by Ardesco; 20 December 2010, 20:17.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Tomorrow is going to be snow free according to the weather experts (BBC).

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Seems they've cancelled a lot of short haul flights from Heathrow.
    Thanks for that - it's operating so far.

According to the BBC - BA are offering a refund but I still wouldn't mind getting away...

Tone

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    What are the chances of me leaving / arriving South Yorks Thursday morning around 10am - M1 / M69 / M6 / M42 / M40 / M25 to Heathrow - staying overnight then morning flight on Friday to Istanbul terminal 5?

Also if I'm delayed can I stay in the 1st class lounge or do they shove me out?

Tone
    Seems they've cancelled a lot of short haul flights from Heathrow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X