• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Chef's top tips

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chef's top tips"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by JimBeam View Post
    hello! Very interesting posts! I am cooking not very good...but want to be a good chef and this forum will help me in it! Thanks one more time!
    looking at your 5 previous posts I'd say that whoever owns this sockie has obviously lost the password to the Bob Shawadiwadi account

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Yes, yes, yes, but did you then take the house keys last night to teach her a lesson?
    no

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    i took the car keys not the house keys and I returned them last night..
    Yes, yes, yes, but did you then take the house keys last night to teach her a lesson?

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    none, it's not a musical jewellery box, it's a box to hold an engagement ring that can also be used as a jewellery box afterwards..
    How did you finish it? Leatherette would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• JimBeam
    replied
    hello! Very interesting posts! I am cooking not very good...but want to be a good chef and this forum will help me in it! Thanks one more time!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    What tune does the box play when the lid is opened?
    none, it's not a musical jewellery box, it's a box to hold an engagement ring that can also be used as a jewellery box afterwards..

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Is she locked in or out?

Which reminds me of my younger days when I shared an upstairs flat in an olde Victorian House. It was possible to lock yourself out of the flat but in the house, which left you in the 'air-lock', a space 5ft by 3 ft, until someone came home (and in the days before everyone had a mobile).
    i took the car keys not the house keys and I returned them last night..

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Is she locked in or out?

Which reminds me of my younger days when I shared an upstairs flat in an olde Victorian House. It was possible to lock yourself out of the flat but in the house, which left you in the 'air-lock', a space 5ft by 3 ft, until someone came home (and in the days before everyone had a mobile).
    I've been locked in a house before.

Yes I could get out but then I wouldn't have been able to get back in.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Yes, both sets
    Is she locked in or out?

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    1) The box is not yet finished entirely, I only get to work on it tues-thurs evenings while I'm working away from home, I expect it to be finished in the next few days.
    2) The box is a one off so it's not going to appear on ebay (unless gf chef doesn't like it's post opening use as a Jewellery Box)
    3) I suppose they could be commissioned if others wanted but in reality this was my first venture in micro-electronics and to date it has taken just under 3 months and circa £350 to build, this is mainly as I was working on it at most 3 nights a week and I was learning the technology and making mistakes therefore I got through a lot of duplicate parts. Obviously any future builds will be quicker now I know how to build the thing and also cheaper due to less "rookie mistakes" meaning replacing brokwn parts and no need to purchase staple things such as soldering irons, voltage meters, PCB board holders, wire, resistors etc. of which I had none intiially which surprisingly add up quickly to increase the cost.

I'd still guestimate that the cost of future boxes would be circa £175 for parts before any cost of time is included meaning I'd doubt these things would be that desirable or viable as a plan b venture. Although as each one would be bespoke it may be a niche product but I doubt it.
    What tune does the box play when the lid is opened?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Did you take her keys back to Munich with you?
    Yes, both sets

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    and the original key problem was solved, for the cost of sending them guaranteed delviery before she needed them at 7:00 this morning given that I only arrived in Munich at 1:30pm yesterday meant that it was cheaper to use air miles and fly home myself than get them sent via DHL express, I caught a flight back last night at 7, was sitting down with gf chef in her favourite restaurant at 8.30 as a "sorry" and returned back here this morning on the 7am flight, in the office for 9.. tired.
    Did you take her keys back to Munich with you?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    and the original key problem was solved, for the cost of sending them guaranteed delviery before she needed them at 7:00 this morning given that I only arrived in Munich at 1:30pm yesterday meant that it was cheaper to use air miles and fly home myself than get them sent via DHL express, I caught a flight back last night at 7, was sitting down with gf chef in her favourite restaurant at 8.30 as a "sorry" and returned back here this morning on the 7am flight, in the office for 9.. tired.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    So, Chef baby, where's the link to the eBay ad for this flash wooden box of yours, eh?
    1) The box is not yet finished entirely, I only get to work on it tues-thurs evenings while I'm working away from home, I expect it to be finished in the next few days.
    2) The box is a one off so it's not going to appear on ebay (unless gf chef doesn't like it's post opening use as a Jewellery Box)
    3) I suppose they could be commissioned if others wanted but in reality this was my first venture in micro-electronics and to date it has taken just under 3 months and circa £350 to build, this is mainly as I was working on it at most 3 nights a week and I was learning the technology and making mistakes therefore I got through a lot of duplicate parts. Obviously any future builds will be quicker now I know how to build the thing and also cheaper due to less "rookie mistakes" meaning replacing brokwn parts and no need to purchase staple things such as soldering irons, voltage meters, PCB board holders, wire, resistors etc. of which I had none intiially which surprisingly add up quickly to increase the cost.

I'd still guestimate that the cost of future boxes would be circa £175 for parts before any cost of time is included meaning I'd doubt these things would be that desirable or viable as a plan b venture. Although as each one would be bespoke it may be a niche product but I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    So, Chef baby, where's the link to the eBay ad for this flash wooden box of yours, eh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X