• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chef's top tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call yourself a contractor?
    Pah! I always have a spare car sitting fuelled up, waiting in the garage for just such an eventuality.
    Currently said vehicle is an Alfa Romeo Spider.

HTH

sasguru
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

So, Chef baby, where's the link to the eBay ad for this flash wooden box of yours, eh?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        So, Chef baby, where's the link to the eBay ad for this flash wooden box of yours, eh?
        1) The box is not yet finished entirely, I only get to work on it tues-thurs evenings while I'm working away from home, I expect it to be finished in the next few days.
        2) The box is a one off so it's not going to appear on ebay (unless gf chef doesn't like it's post opening use as a Jewellery Box)
        3) I suppose they could be commissioned if others wanted but in reality this was my first venture in micro-electronics and to date it has taken just under 3 months and circa £350 to build, this is mainly as I was working on it at most 3 nights a week and I was learning the technology and making mistakes therefore I got through a lot of duplicate parts. Obviously any future builds will be quicker now I know how to build the thing and also cheaper due to less "rookie mistakes" meaning replacing brokwn parts and no need to purchase staple things such as soldering irons, voltage meters, PCB board holders, wire, resistors etc. of which I had none intiially which surprisingly add up quickly to increase the cost.

I'd still guestimate that the cost of future boxes would be circa £175 for parts before any cost of time is included meaning I'd doubt these things would be that desirable or viable as a plan b venture. Although as each one would be bespoke it may be a niche product but I doubt it.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

and the original key problem was solved, for the cost of sending them guaranteed delviery before she needed them at 7:00 this morning given that I only arrived in Munich at 1:30pm yesterday meant that it was cheaper to use air miles and fly home myself than get them sent via DHL express, I caught a flight back last night at 7, was sitting down with gf chef in her favourite restaurant at 8.30 as a "sorry" and returned back here this morning on the 7am flight, in the office for 9.. tired.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            and the original key problem was solved, for the cost of sending them guaranteed delviery before she needed them at 7:00 this morning given that I only arrived in Munich at 1:30pm yesterday meant that it was cheaper to use air miles and fly home myself than get them sent via DHL express, I caught a flight back last night at 7, was sitting down with gf chef in her favourite restaurant at 8.30 as a "sorry" and returned back here this morning on the 7am flight, in the office for 9.. tired.
            Did you take her keys back to Munich with you?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Did you take her keys back to Munich with you?
              Yes, both sets

Comment

1) The box is not yet finished entirely, I only get to work on it tues-thurs evenings while I'm working away from home, I expect it to be finished in the next few days.
                2) The box is a one off so it's not going to appear on ebay (unless gf chef doesn't like it's post opening use as a Jewellery Box)
                3) I suppose they could be commissioned if others wanted but in reality this was my first venture in micro-electronics and to date it has taken just under 3 months and circa £350 to build, this is mainly as I was working on it at most 3 nights a week and I was learning the technology and making mistakes therefore I got through a lot of duplicate parts. Obviously any future builds will be quicker now I know how to build the thing and also cheaper due to less "rookie mistakes" meaning replacing brokwn parts and no need to purchase staple things such as soldering irons, voltage meters, PCB board holders, wire, resistors etc. of which I had none intiially which surprisingly add up quickly to increase the cost.

I'd still guestimate that the cost of future boxes would be circa £175 for parts before any cost of time is included meaning I'd doubt these things would be that desirable or viable as a plan b venture. Although as each one would be bespoke it may be a niche product but I doubt it.
                What tune does the box play when the lid is opened?

Comment

Yes, both sets
                  Is she locked in or out?

Which reminds me of my younger days when I shared an upstairs flat in an olde Victorian House. It was possible to lock yourself out of the flat but in the house, which left you in the 'air-lock', a space 5ft by 3 ft, until someone came home (and in the days before everyone had a mobile).

Comment

Is she locked in or out?

Which reminds me of my younger days when I shared an upstairs flat in an olde Victorian House. It was possible to lock yourself out of the flat but in the house, which left you in the 'air-lock', a space 5ft by 3 ft, until someone came home (and in the days before everyone had a mobile).
                    I've been locked in a house before.

Yes I could get out but then I wouldn't have been able to get back in.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Is she locked in or out?

i took the car keys not the house keys and I returned them last night..

Comment

Working...
                      X