• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Language Courses/CDs"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I bought this:

La Guinguette- Le Journal

The intermediate and advanced courses are all in French, so that's good for the intermediate learner because you're immersed in French. I've listened to them several times over in the car, but I do learn better at the computer where I can read the text and rewind to the right point without crashing into a lorry.

The Michel Thomas courses are excellent, for beginners. I have the full foundation courses and advanced courses in both French and German, but "advanced" isn't really that advanced, and (particularly in German) he leaves out an awful lot.
    The intermediate laguinette ones look good and I like the fact that it's pretty much in French, so gets you thinking in French. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    WHS -

There's two students learning on the CD's and you're the third, the idea is you think about how you would construct a sentence rather than remembering.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I bought this:

http://www.laguinguette.com/learn/

The intermediate and advanced courses are all in French, so that's good for the intermediate learner because you're immersed in French. I've listened to them several times over in the car, but I do learn better at the computer where I can read the text and rewind to the right point without crashing into a lorry.

The Michel Thomas courses are excellent, for beginners. I have the full foundation courses and advanced courses in both French and German, but "advanced" isn't really that advanced, and (particularly in German) he leaves out an awful lot.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Anyone recommend one that they have used.

Looking to get my French back to fluency again not sure if Rosetta Stone or Linguaphone would be better. Something that can be listened to on the train is always good.
    The Public Library is a good place to start and you can help them by taking your laptop and backing up the CDs and DVDs for them.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    It's a good idea!

Has anyone tried during one of these course when driving for example? A two hour commute with the CD in? Do you think this a good way to learn or distracting?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I think you need to find someone you can converse with on a regular basis. It's OK learning and repeating phrases from a course but it doesn't help when the person you are talking to uses the vernacular. Just chatting gives you a lot of confidence.
    I've got someone I can do that with and text them and e-mail in French, but just need to get up to speed whereby I can chat less haltingly, without constant "Qu'est ce que le mot pour....." or "J'ai oublie"

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I've got that on my iPod, but it was a free download.
    <cough>
    French Michel Thomas

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I think you need to find someone you can converse with on a regular basis. It's OK learning and repeating phrases from a course but it doesn't help when the person you are talking to uses the vernacular. Just chatting gives you a lot of confidence.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Thanks Guys!

Will look into some of them.

My priority is getting back into fluency again, I can pretty much understand if someone speaks to me in French its remembering the sentence structuring and tenses.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    When I was looking, these came highly recommended
    French With Michel Thomas Complete Course CD: Amazon.co.uk: Michel Thomas: Books

I bought a set for my daughter, who of course never used them :-(

So unfortunately, I can't say how marvellous they are
    I've got that on my iPod, but it was a free download. It seems pretty good, although I didn't listen to much of it. The basic premise of it is that English is much like French.

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Looking to get my French back to fluency again not sure if Rosetta Stone or Linguaphone would be better. Something that can be listened to on the train is always good.
    I'm using Rosetta Stone to learn Mandarin, the voice analyser is pretty good - my Chinese wife and friends tested it for accuracy.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Also recommend the Michael Thomas courses. I have the Spanish and Arabic courses.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you have internet on the train or wireless dongle you could try Live Mocha to supplement it. You can do a huge range of languages and then get in touch with 'penpals' to help use the language and practice. I have only just started but seems like a very good set up. It's like a wiki site/social network/language course all rolled in to one.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    When I was looking, these came highly recommended
    French With Michel Thomas Complete Course CD: Amazon.co.uk: Michel Thomas: Books

I bought a set for my daughter, who of course never used them :-(

So unfortunately, I can't say how marvellous they are

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    started a topic Language Courses/CDs

Language Courses/CDs

Working...
X