• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Labour to get their dream vision by 2066"

Collapse

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Scottish, not Scots.

The 'Scots' were a race in their own right,

Nope, (I think) you are thinking about the Scotti which is what the Romans called the people from Dál Riata (Gaels). It's incorrect to think of them as Scots though, they are Gaels.

The Gaels never referred to themselves as Scots and the Kingdom of Scotland translates to Rìoghachd na h-Alba in Gaelic.

The Scots are the mixture of all the blood into what we are now.

Scottish people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Incognito; 22 November 2010, 17:33.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    nb; my other personality may have a different opinion
    Bollocks
    Actually schizophrenia (or the common perception of it) would be a great thing for us all to have. We could select our personalities depending on who we were with or where we were living. They should start working on a drug immediately.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    is it racist to suggest that they're free to seek sunnier climes?
    You can present the facts but you'd still be branded racist by the lib-lab-loony-lefty-lot.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    it's not racist to suggest some people are not ideally suited to a northern European climate.
    is it racist to suggest that they're free to seek sunnier climes?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    The correlation of mental illness with being outside a familiar society, with migrants going to live in another culture for example, is well established.
    Social differences aside vitamin D deficiency can cause all manner of symptoms including: depression, chronic fatigue, weight loss, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and osteoporosis.

I know it's a difficult subject to broach but people with dark skin (especially those that choose to cover up) living in countries that aren't blessed with lots of sunlight are bound to suffer more than pasty skinned locals, it's not racist to suggest some people are not ideally suited to a northern European climate.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    yep

Bollocks!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    The correlation of mental illness with being outside a familiar society...is well established.
    yep

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    When you walk past a beggar I bet you spit in their collection pot.
    My bodily fluids are far too valuable to just give away.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Its a totally different world today, these comparisons just can't be made.
    Technology may change and make travel easier that doesn't mean human nature has changed to cope with it. It doesn't have to be some sort of rigid BNP style British society but the changes have to happen at a reasonable rate, most are happier if they live in more or less the sort of society they grew up with. The correlation of mental illness with being outside a familiar society, with migrants going to live in another culture for example, is well established.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Actually, the 'Scots' are made up of Picts, Gaels, Angles, Anglo-Saxons, Britons and Norse. Of those only the Britons, Gaels and Picts were true Celts.

Scots Gaelic is classed as a 'Celtic' language though, so I'll let you off.
    Scottish, not Scots.

The 'Scots' were a race in their own right,

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    I often drive through Birmingham Small Heath and wish the whole country was just like it.* Ah well I guess by 2066 I'll be fluent in the local language.

(*I don't really).

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    the govt. has to tax people who earn over £6600pa
    It is pretty crazy. Take their money, deduct huge admin charges and give it back to them so they can live.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    When you walk past a beggar I bet you spit in their collection pot.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Sound like we should all become Jewish. They are healthier, own their own homes, are in work and don't go to prison. They are not touching my willy.
    We wouldn't need immigration if the twats got off their buttocks and worked at any job available...all thanks to the welfare state. Which does more to penalise the poor - because its so fricken expensive the govt. has to tax people who earn over £6600pa!
    Who came up with this welfare stuff anyway...I'd say that's the root cause. Oh and toss in the minimum wage there too.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Ah yes. Is that the good old leftist "why do people worry about large scale immigration when it's been happening for centuries" argument?
    My view is that the Normans, Vikings, etc didn't have hourly ferries and daily service of jumbo jets and emerging middle classes who could afford to fly on said jumbo jets.

Its a totally different world today, these comparisons just can't be made.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X