• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have you ever seen a McDs close down?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I never heard of Tagines until they were on both Jamie's and Gordon's cooking shows on C4 about a week apart (maybe they were trying to save budget and made them share hotel rooms).
    They look awesome, sort of like exotic hot-pot. Mmm, I miss hot-pot. With whole chops.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Ah yes, and you should see the Dutch FEBO; Homepage

These are places which put the fast 'food' in little heated compartments and the customers put a coin in a slot to release said 'food'. The kebab/frikadel/kroket thingy may have festered in the heated compartment for some hours at a temperature optimized for bacterial growth before consumption. Very popular among Dutch people, I have yet to meet another foreigner who would even consider placing said sample in his mouth.
    I like FEBO - I often used to go there when I was in Amsterdam with my Dutch ex. I think she was quite surprised that I took to the place so much, although I generally went for the fried chicken and fries. Mind you, a couple of kroketen make a good mid-evening snack

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    I don't know where the idea has come from that the French hate McDonalds. It seems the polar opposite to me whenever I am there.

In an aside, I backpacked round Morocco for a month a few years ago and was very glad to see a McDonalds in Rabat rather than the usual fly infested rice and salad and charred lamb ribs.

Granted, some of the food in Morocco was quite nice - but nobody really eats what you see in all these crappy expensive cook books.
    I trekked around Morocco years ago and found all the market stall food great, never needed to find any maccy d style food. I may have had one too many tagines though

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by BdP View Post
    I seen a peanut stand
    Heard a rubber band
    I seen a needle that winked its eye
    And I've seen a Swiss Roll
    And made a Venetian Blind
    I wrote a French Letter
    But never had a Camel Toe

Leave a comment:

• BdP
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Must be a fairly rare event
    I seen a peanut stand
    Heard a rubber band
    I seen a needle that winked its eye

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    I don't know where the idea has come from that the French hate McDonalds. It seems the polar opposite to me whenever I am there.

In an aside, I backpacked round Morocco for a month a few years ago and was very glad to see a McDonalds in Rabat rather than the usual fly infested rice and salad and charred lamb ribs.

Granted, some of the food in Morocco was quite nice - but nobody really eats what you see in all these crappy expensive cook books.
    Ah because McDonalds do fries rather than rice?

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Well if an Irish Bar isn't a big old franchise I don't know what is, they're all over the bloody place. At the Channel you'll see these Irish juggernauts and half of them are full of Irish knik-knaks to use in the places, and most of them are crap and expensive...
    ...and avoided by Irish people.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
    After McDonald's packed up and moved on, the building turned into an Irish bar. Perhaps deliberately, they've left the original McDonald's floor tiles in place. Patrons could often be seen staring at the floor, wondering why that tile pattern looked so familiar.
    Well if an Irish Bar isn't a big old franchise I don't know what is, they're all over the bloody place. At the Channel you'll see these Irish juggernauts and half of them are full of Irish knik-knaks to use in the places, and most of them are crap and expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I've had them a few times. Over in Enschede the other day we saw a couple and were tempted but decided to have a nice coffee and cake instead.
    Wise.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

These are places which put the fast 'food' in little heated compartments and the customers put a coin in a slot to release said 'food'. The kebab/frikadel/kroket thingy may have festered in the heated compartment for some hours at a temperature optimized for bacterial growth before consumption. Very popular among Dutch people, I have yet to meet another foreigner who would even consider placing said sample in his mouth.
    I've had them a few times. Over in Enschede the other day we saw a couple and were tempted but decided to have a nice coffee and cake instead.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Me neither, though after having a quick squint at what comprises a Kebab, they are perhaps not as bad as they appear. To me they look like cylinders of mixtures of mechanically recovered meat of dubious origin left to fester in a warm environment until such time that the purveyors notice that customers are becoming ill before they even leave the premises.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    I dont mind a Nandos now and again or a Fish and Chips but that about it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Not me.
    Me neither, though after having a quick squint at what comprises a Kebab, they are perhaps not as bad as they appear. To me they look like cylinders of mixtures of mechanically recovered meat of dubious origin left to fester in a warm environment until such time that the purveyors notice that customers are becoming ill before they even leave the premises.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    ...and spotty chavs whose zits burst onto the food as they're preparing it.
    Thanks for that

Leave a comment:

Working...
X