• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Business model of sofa sellers in UK"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    WHS

1 week to ship it from far away would have been acceptable, FFS - 12 weeks is quater of the year, it takes less time to create bird flu vaccine to order...
    We have been waiting 7 years to get a decent result back from your search engine.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Top Tip: Don't buy a bed with drawers underneath. They consist of MDF planks stapled together and cardboard bottoms, which are also stapled. The bottoms fall out as soon as you put something in them and the entire structure disintegrates into a pile of MDF splinters the first time you pull one out and try to push it back in.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Aman View Post
    Local blind craft centre. We've had good furniture from them before and it keeps local blind people in employment.
    Looking at the quality of the DFS stuff, I think they employ blind workers too.

My only DFS sofa lasted 2 years then fell to bits. I've had shoes last longer than that.

Leave a comment:

• Aman
    replied
    If I was in the market for furniture I'd go to
    Auction rooms.
    Local blind craft centre. We've had good furniture from them before and it keeps local blind people in employment.
    Slask, South West of Poland Can't remember the name of the villages but every second place was a craft furniture manufacturer. Solid buld, no softwood or staples.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I am way past it - all I want is a nice quality ;eather sofa delivered next day
    What about a hammock while you wait? 12 weeks is a long time to sit on the floor.

Alternatively some foam pads stretched from one end of a wall to the other, but that's almost a sofa already, if not better.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    In the meantime you could use spare servers
    I am way past it - all I want is a nice quality ;eather sofa delivered next day

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    WHS

1 week to ship it from far away would have been acceptable, FFS - 12 weeks is quater of the year, it takes less time to create bird flu vaccine to order...
    In the meantime you could use spare servers:

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    In 12 weeks you could probably learn how to make a sofa, obtain the materials (wood, foam, formaldehyde, stain remover) and build it. Not DFS tulip either, a proper big one.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    In 12 weeks you could probably learn how to make a sofa, obtain the materials (wood, foam, formaldehyde, stain remover) and build it. Not DFS tulip either, a proper big one.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Why are you still going to the big stores?
    FFS, I was just driving past it - I need a fooking sofa, I thought it would not be a big deal in a developed nation - it took less time to get unreleased engineering sample of a state of the art microprocessor before it got officially released ffs

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Why are you still going to the big stores?

Do some research then pick a local shop/manufacturer.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    If they don't have fook all in stock then their overheads should be minimal - margins on such sofas should be next to nothing, yet somehow they make 50% discounts and still clearly making a killing on it.

How long does it take to build a sofa anyway, provided materials are available (which they should be given the price). One week wait should be max - not for common colours either.
    See other thread for how Harveys operates.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    To be fair AtW does have a point. I'd rather have something that is comfortable, than some designer sofa.
    Designer doesn't necessarily mean stylish although I get your point. I tend towards more traditional styles but regardless of that comfort is of course paramount otherwise it's just something to look at or be irritated by.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Oh dear, you haven't quite understood what style is?
    To be fair AtW does have a point. I'd rather have something that is comfortable, than some designer sofa.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Think yourself lucky. The place I'm in now has the living room upstairs (a converted barn), the spiral staircase is a showstopper for moving furniture so had to remove one window and frame, move the big stuff in by crane.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X