• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Emperor's new clothes"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I don't think there is an iPod Touch with a 3G connection though? If so, it's not a big Touch, except the WifFi only model. The latest Touch has a (albeit carp) camera too...
    There is, it's called the iPhone.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    can even read it out loud for the deaf (although in monotone) but I don't want one for Christmas.

Hmm, what?

I love that someone spotted that. I guess I meant hard of hearing, err seeing.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I was toying with the idea of putting together a stonker of a desktop PC; but on checking the latest Intel motherboards, I found none seem to support USB 3 - Little point in doing anything yet then.

Er, sorry, what was the topic again?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    I posted a unfunny joke, but decided to change it.
    So you class all your other jokes as funny?

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    My wife has a kindle - its a nice item but it is limited. It is better than a book: smaller, lighter, easier to use, can even read it out loud for the deaf (although in monotone) but I don't want one for Christmas.
    Hmm, what?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    There are two things that tempt me about the Ipad. Firstly is the great battery life; since I often spend a long time on trains travelling to contracts, it would fit the bill. Secondly, it isn't Microsoft, so I imagine you don't get the eternal waiting for the machine to boot up/power down.
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I suggest if you're booting/powering down your laptop you're using it wrong. Close the lid, it goes to sleep. Open the lid it's back in half a second. I don't understand why people keep going on about boot times.
    WHS. A Mac takes time to cold-boot too, unless you get a new SSD MacBook Air.

My phone takes longer to do a cold start than my PC can wake from hibernation.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    My mate just bought the Galaxy tablet - it is utter tripe. Too small to be useful as a laptop-type device, too big to be used as a phone (though it's funny standing there shouting HELLO into it. Yes it's more open than stupid Apple's iPad but in terms of usability and it's place in the market - and the fact that it's still £499 - I'd say Samsung have wasted an opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    The battery life on my main laptop is pathetic, but it's basically a desktop in a laptop format as sometimes I'm away for weeks and want to do proper computing or even to play games.

The Netbook which cost me ~£150 has a good 6 hours battery life, 3 USB ports which I can't do without as I USB charge a fair few things as well as it being a really handy interface port, decent keyboard, ok screen, standard apps installed and it's even got a sensible size hard drive at 160 Gig.
    I don't see the point in paying over 3 times as much for less capability other than a longer battery life which I can replicate by buying a spare battery for ~£25. It's not like I'm unable to get to mains power source at least a few hours a day.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    There are two things that tempt me about the Ipad. Firstly is the great battery life; since I often spend a long time on trains travelling to contracts, it would fit the bill. Secondly, it isn't Microsoft, so I imagine you don't get the eternal waiting for the machine to boot up/power down.
    I suggest if you're booting/powering down your laptop you're using it wrong. Close the lid, it goes to sleep. Open the lid it's back in half a second. I don't understand why people keep going on about boot times.

My laptop can manage 6 hours, and that's a chunky heat producing fan whirring Dell.

So why do you want an iPad?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Now, if I could only get rid of the eternal wait when the message "Please wait Windows is closing down" is displayed, I'd be a happy man (does it damage the system if you force a quick shutdown?)
    That is an unknown variable which I am surprised MS have not tried to pass off as an additional feature, and charged extra for.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I don't get the iPad either, maybe I'm a luddite, but I don't feel the need for one. I certainly wouldn't spend £500 on one, I don't think I'd be happy spending >£100 on one either. I don't much like typing on a touch screen either.

I've got a big laptop for my main computing needs and a netbook for when I'm travelling, Slingbox, browsing etc, I suppose if I really felt the need to surf the net while on the bog then the netbook would do the job.

I've got an Android phone and that's fine for what it is, but do I want a bigger one that doesn't do a great deal more or I can't do on my netbook? Nah.

However my next purchase will unfortunately be a laptop as I want to do some data crunching and programming, including having sql server installed (despite being a big fan of mysql). Luckily people tell me the battery life is now a lot better, so that's one issue dealt with. Now, if I could only get rid of the eternal wait when the message "Please wait Windows is closing down" is displayed, I'd be a happy man (does it damage the system if you force a quick shutdown?)

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    If you watch the F1 coverage you'll see Jake Humphries sporting an iPad, but as he's usually walking around and holding a microphone, he actually can't use it, because unlike a phone you need two hands. It's just a pointless piece of tat to show off on the telly and one that makes it harder, not easier for him to do his job.

If you need to use the iPhad on your lap, or on a desk, you may as well have a laptop. If I wanted to use the net on the bog, or in bed, I could just as easily pick up my 15" Dell laptop for the purpose (although in the former case that may result in burned legs).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Pros for me include the usability and that it works. Looks good too. Cons are the price and the price. Oh, and that it can't take photos and its lack of connectivity, e.g. a USB port. Not sure if it could function as a standalone device, without a MAC or PC & iTunes to assist, from day one and forever more?

I might have liked to gift one to my parents, as they are still unconnected to the virtual world. Currently if anyone wants to send them a photo they must physically take it or post it. PCs and phones are too awkward and complicated, whereas pressing a screen email icon probably wouldn't be. But the price is too high, and that's even before considering the data tariff rip-ioff. It's a rich wo/man's toy.

I don't think there is an iPod Touch with a 3G connection though? If so, it's not a big Touch, except the WifFi only model. The latest Touch has a (albeit carp) camera too...

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    My brother has an ipad, it looks nice but it doesn't really do any more than my 4 year old tablet pc. It is the apps that make it.

If they kept the phone features and included a bluetooth headset, at least you could use it as a phone as well.

My wife has a kindle - its a nice item but it is limited. It is better than a book: smaller, lighter, easier to use, can even read it out loud for the deaf (although in monotone) but I don't want one for Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    I like to read on the bog, and I don't think I am the only one on the planet. In fact
    Yeah me too - I found a great little invention pretty cheap to

Great Link

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I know, I struggle with that one.
    I know what you mean though, think ill get the detol out and give it a wipe when I get home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X