• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best family skiiing resort..."

Collapse

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    It doesn't really have the blacks you require, but for long green runs meandering through forests nowhere I've been in Europe beats Serre Chevalier. It's also a pretty big area, would take longer to explore thoroughly than some of the more well-known French resorts.

It has a different feel to other French resorts. Far more trees. Accomodation in real towns.

Just make sure when you go there's enough snow to ski all the way down. (I think the snow there is generally pretty good, if I remember correctly the mountains are north facing and whatever falls tends to last.) On my second visit the only open run back to the particular village was a black. (There were still greens higher up the mountain that could be used, wife had to take a bubble back.) Don't get me wrong, I think it's good for having snow when other resorts don't, it's just that you may not get the full benefit of those long greens if you go in April.

Villeneuve is probably the best base, with Le Monetier and Chantemerle also OK. The city of Briancon at one end is to be avoided - that portion of the ski area relatively isolated from the rest, and I think you'd need transport to get to and from the single lift at the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Ski chalet ski holidays for friends and families | Chilled Mountain | Oz en Oisans
    another contractors plan d.

Beautiful catered chalets, view breathtaking can't vouch for the skiing.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Support Britain!

BBC News - Scottish ski season gets under way

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Or better still, why not get her a 2-week placement working in the on-site creche? That way she can combine looking after the sprog with earning herself a salary, which will cover most of the cost of your cheapskate holiday? On her day off she can come and video you doing your best "Jackass" impressions!!

Not having a go as Sasguru since others are more experienced...

That's classic shaunbhoy

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Are you going to spend all day skiing whilst your missus looks after the kid?
    Or better still, why not get her a 2-week placement working in the on-site creche? That way she can combine looking after the sprog with earning herself a salary, which will cover most of the cost of your cheapskate holiday? On her day off she can come and video you doing your best "Jackass" impressions!!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    1) Your child is too young to start skiing. 3 is the youngest age they can start lessons at. What you really mean is, "I want a skiing holiday before the little chap is old enough to know what he is missing".

2) Are you going to spend all day skiing whilst your missus looks after the kid? In which case, why not stick with Meribel? The gondola goes all the way down the hill to the town (forget what it's called now) so if she's spending a day baby sitting then you're covered, she can go to the pool, the shops, the spa etc.. You can also drive there quite easily.

3) If you want something new, Soldeu in Andorra is a nice resort, with a spa hotel right next to the gondola. It is also in a valley so has walking opportunities.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I am tight as a nun's wotsit when it comes to unnecessary spending.
    An attribute that sits comfortably, cheek by jowl, with most of the others you display so ubiquitously on the forum.

So you have been skiing since you were a kid, yet have no idea about where to take your own kid skiing? Not terribly quick on the uptake are you?

Your Missus is not interested in it, your sprog can barely walk yet, but you are insistent upon taking them off to the mountains just so you can practice your snowplough turns on the intermediate slopes! What a piece of work!!

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Are you another one of these cretins who jumps in feet first without reading a thread?
    I have been to Meribel for approximately the last 9 times I've been skiing for the simple reason that I can get free accom. there. I like it well enough but its not family friendly, more for a single person.

HTH, but IDI.
    Sure, sure, sure.

You determine your ski-ing holiday according to your wallet. I tell you what, Milton Keynes has a lovely little slope for skinflints like you. Leave the proper resorts to those of us who do it for the adrenaline.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
    And here we were thinking that a gentleman of your means <cough> wouldn't be concerned with the price of his accommodation.
    I am tight as a nun's wotsit when it comes to unnecessary spending.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    ...for the simple reason that I can get free accom. there.
    And here we were thinking that a gentleman of your means <cough> wouldn't be concerned with the price of his accommodation.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I have been to Meribel for approximately the last 9 times I've been skiing for the simple reason that I can get free accom. there.
    Why not try www.skinflintskiing.com then?

I am sure they have relatively gentle slopes there that will not be beyond your "ability"!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Been doing it since a nipper and you don't even know what resort to head to? Right then. Unless you're just finding another reason to flounce on the web.
    Are you another one of these cretins who jumps in feet first without reading a thread?
    I have been to Meribel for approximately the last 9 times I've been skiing for the simple reason that I can get free accom. there. I like it well enough but its not family friendly, more for a single person.

HTH, but IDI.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Not having met you i can't say what your skiing is like.
    Suffice to say you'd have to be very good to "best" me seeing as I've been doing it since I was a nipper.
    You keep eating your pies, patting your paunch and dreaming.
    There are plenty of other Walter Mittys on here to keep you company.

Been doing it since a nipper and you don't even know what resort to head to? Right then. Unless you're just finding another reason to flounce on the web.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    There are plenty of other Walter Mittys on here to keep me company.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    , it was just another activity that I would doubtless be able to best a weakling like you at. I seriously doubt you have the physique for downhill anyway.
    Not having met you i can't say what your skiing is like.
    Suffice to say you'd have to be very good to "best" me seeing as I've been doing it since I was a nipper.
    You keep eating your pies, patting your paunch and dreaming.
    There are plenty of other Walter Mittys on here to keep you company.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X