• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Yesterday

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Yesterday"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Nice one Chef!

I hope it all goes well and I'm sure the effort will be appreciated.

Did you use the VBB I mailed you about? Any good?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied

Because I am lost for words.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I've added into the program at 25, 40, 45, 49 and 50 certain messages letting her know that she's used up half the chances, a few chances left, in 5 chances it will lock for 3 months, be very careful and finally at 50 it says "box locked. 3 months until next retry, powering down" and it switches off for 20 more button presses (not actually 3 months) and that's the reason I added the backdoor to gain access just incase she does not want to play along.
    Adding the backdoor option is always a good idea at this stage.

Lay the ground rules down early.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    haha, I have many different sides to me, festival goer, adrenalin junkie, beer drinker, outdoorsy type, geek and cook being the main ones.. this is just a good way to be a bit geeky while working away, buy some new tools and toys which for once are actually needed and with a great end result, plus it keeps me out of the beergardens a bit
    That was my guess

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    So, tell us about the ring, whats it like?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Jeez, after all that expense the ring better be brilliant. Either that or you blew all the cash and it's a £50 jobby from Samuels. Maybe you can ebay the box afterwards, unless a jewellery box with built-in GPS is of much use
    hmm well, I thought about that and I'm going to line the box with felt type material so it can actually be used as a jewellery box (her's currently is some teenage tatty piece of crap) and as EO said, it'll make an interesting conversation starter/memory. Plus, she'll own it so I can't really ask to have it back and stick it on ebay.

Plus, it's not about the expense of it all, if that was the case I could just stick the ring in a bunch of 50's.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

You must be MUCH more geeky IRL than I ever imagined you to be !!!
    - with all your festival going, I imagined you as a free spirit hippy type

But seriously, many many congrats!

<tune of "another one bites the dust" fades in>
    haha, I have many different sides to me, festival goer, adrenalin junkie, beer drinker, outdoorsy type, geek and cook being the main ones.. this is just a good way to be a bit geeky while working away, buy some new tools and toys which for once are actually needed and with a great end result, plus it keeps me out of the beergardens a bit

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Jeez, after all that expense the ring better be brilliant. Either that or you blew all the cash and it's a £50 jobby from Samuels. Maybe you can ebay the box afterwards, unless a jewellery box with built-in GPS is of much use

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I proposed using a keyring once.

Unsurprisingly I'm not married

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    hi Chef,

good for you, it's nice to see something original in this world instead of simply off the shelf plastic solutions to everything

I am sure you know your customer and it will be a big success

well done

one thought is it worth to have two boxes, one with the ring and one with like a twix or something and if during the period between delivering the box and unlocking the box if there are any changes in relations you can switch the boxes and voila....

Milan.
    I see your point, and it was suggested that if things don't go to plan for whatever reason then maybe it might be a good idea to have a backdoor to be able to get into the box (for the reason you suggested but also for the reason of the batteries die or some other unknown reason) rather than having a unobtainable expensive ring.

I figure that should be enough. Plus, the box isn't cheap once you start adding up the cost of the antique box, the components (lcd, gps, arduino main board + expansion shield, buttons, servo's, switches, wiring, battery packs, dc jacks etc.) I've never done anything like this before so have also invested in soldering irons/stands, circuit board holders etc. And so far it's taken around 2 months to get it done (after work when I have time) and so making a 2nd isn't really an option before xmas. I'll be happy to get this one done and looking/working as I want

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    built circuitry myself, bought the box, cut a hole in it for the lcd which sits very flush to the box and used a wood drill for the button hole which also sits flush, so presentation wise it looks very good and not "knocked up in a shed in 5 mins"

You must be MUCH more geeky IRL than I ever imagined you to be !!!
    - with all your festival going, I imagined you as a free spirit hippy type

But seriously, many many congrats!

<tune of "another one bites the dust" fades in>

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    played fella

better than me I proposed by text message

and she kept it in case I ever have ermm second thoughts!

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Glass half empty man eh?

well Ebenezer, It's not supposed to be Mastermind, the point is in the effort that's gone into it, the originality of the way it's asked, the fun of going away to a place I know she wants to show me and then ultimately the "non surprise", as you put it, of asking her to marry me.

The box is a Jewellery sized box, not ring sized and even if she does guess (which wouldn't take a genius to work out), surely that'll make it more exciting to get the box open?

I figure it's better than a few grunts while watching corrie along the lines of "so? shall we?"
    Lol!!
    I knew it was quite "scroogy" when I was typing the post!

good luck, it certainly is different!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    hi Chef,

good for you, it's nice to see something original in this world instead of simply off the shelf plastic solutions to everything

well done

one thought is it worth to have two boxes, one with the ring and one with like a twix or something and if during the period between delivering the box and unlocking the box if there are any changes in relations you can switch the boxes and voila....

Milan.
    Ever the optimist. Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    hi Chef,

well done

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X