• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will £40,000 minimum salary curb intra company transfer immigration loophole?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    local office so small commute
    AtW, every job is a local office if you live in the right place.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    Eh?? 40K is a lot?? What planet are you on?

40K is graduate salary straight out of university in an IB
    Look outside London. Look outside IB.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    £40k real salary (with employer NI on top) is a pretty decent level that eliminates massive price differential whilst keeping the same skill level of those who were brought under it.

This probably won't help as much contractors who want to charge £500+ per day but any large reduction of a gap in pay would have positive effect.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But these people are hired to be cheaper than home-grown, no? £40k is a fairly hefty salary for a developer/code-monkey, certainly I could find very good people I've worked with before who are paid less.

40K is graduate salary straight out of university in an IB

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I haven't signed the contract yet

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    ...also a chance to work with some of the greatest minds of the modern era
    I haven't signed the contract yet

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Who said developers? Business analysts, 'consultants', project managers, project support, programme directors, PMO staff...
    I thought those were the kind of roles normally kept on-shore, as they involve jobs for management, rather than for developers who actually make things rather than shuffling documents back and forth and having endless meetings.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    would you mind saying roughly what you pay your permie developers - IIRC you have some - if it's OK to do so?
    Yes it's ok, but please don't tell anyone else...

we...

pay...

above market rate?

Well, we probably pay market rate - however on top of that there are valuable perks - interesting job, local office so small commute (that's worth a lot - I know I had to drive 120 miles per day on M6 in my previous job...), also a chance to work with some of the greatest minds of the modern era

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    £30k is what they advertise on the "learn IT" TV adverts on daytime TV. I have no idea what the averages are, but remember how skewed they are by London and the South East. Where you're based is perhaps more representative, would you mind saying roughly what you pay your permie developers - IIRC you have some - if it's OK to do so?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I remember back in early 2000 when I got my work permit unofficial rule of thumb was that getting it in IT field meant at least £30k salary, which was not too bad 10 years ago given current inflation

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Intra-company transfers - immigration loophole - i.e. people working here.
    Sory, sleepy
    Still, £40k is a decent salary for nearly any kind of job outside the south-east, certainly not far off. The bobs have to be a significant saving to be worth the hassle don't they?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    £40k is not a bad limit even if some creative accounting factors into this food/rent/etc even though IMHO £40k must mean £40k salary with all normal income/NI deductions.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I thought those were the kind of roles normally kept on-shore, as they involve client interaction and domain knowledge.

Intra-company transfers - immigration loophole - i.e. people working here.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I thought those were the kind of roles normally kept on-shore, as they involve client interaction and domain knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Where does this £1000+ for Indian developers come from?
    Who said developers? Business analysts, 'consultants', project managers, project support, programme directors, PMO staff...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X