• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It's the fireworks party thread !!! Woo-hoo!"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    It's the ones on the left with the single red eye that are worrying me!
    Look again. It's just the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may His noodly goodness touch you) watching the fireworks.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Is that a UFO in the bottom right of that photo?
    It's the ones on the left with the single red eye that are worrying me!

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is that a UFO in the bottom right of that photo?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Meanwhile in Pulham St. Mary, Norfolk, they are having a 'Nonfire'.

A burning fiery bonfire - Telegraph

So much safer

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    woohoo! eek!

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Interesting forum thread here from Jimjim regarding French bangers.

On being told they are illegal to sell in the UK he starts enquiring if anyone knows how he can make his own ... out of stuff available around the house or in hardware stores!

Visit anyone?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I thought a ballista was a one or two man weapon that fired heavy darts. Then I saw this monster.
    Ours was closer to the former than the latter

Timber frame made up of scavenged railway sleepers and other bits with the long spring from the suspension of an old lorry strapped across the front of it. It took three of us to load the thing - One on each end of the spring pushing back, the third pulling on the rope to get it over the firing hook. We used it to fire lengths of re-bar. How we didn't kill or maim ourselves in the process remains a mystery.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    None of them were as good as the leaf-spring ballista though
    I thought a ballista was a one or two man weapon that fired heavy darts. Then I saw this monster.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Indeed. One of these in a glass milk bottle made a passable grenade. Alternatively one could be put in the open end of some cowhormn handle bars followed by a handfull of fine gravel and a grass plug to make a rudimentary blunderbuss. Don't start me on cow pat landmines.

Kids today have no idea how to make their own fun.
    A section of metal tubing, two bangers (and some practice with the timing) could be pressed into use as a serviceable mortar.

The same tube + a suitably sized marble produced a passable (though inaccurate) musket.

Non of them were as good as the leaf-spring ballista though

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    For those of you attending out-of-town firework parties tonight

Please remember to fill your car up with fuel before you go...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    One of the above pictures of bangers reminds of when I was a wee teenager. My school, in Folkestone, used to do a yearly "French" trip to Calais and we would take the opportunity to stock up on French baggers. 10s of times better that the weak UK variants. Thankfully our coach was never stopped by customs. French bangers in enclosed spaces!
    Indeed. One of these in a glass milk bottle made a passable grenade. Alternatively one could be put in the open end of some cowhormn handle bars followed by a handfull of fine gravel and a grass plug to make a rudimentary blunderbuss. Don't start me on cow pat landmines.

Kids today have no idea how to make their own fun.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    One of the above pictures of bangers reminds of when I was a wee teenager. My school, in Folkestone, used to do a yearly "French" trip to Calais and we would take the opportunity to stock up on French baggers. 10s of times better that the weak UK variants. Thankfully our coach was never stopped by customs. French bangers in enclosed spaces!
    I used to hide mine in the zip-away hood on my 80's ski jacket, the potential to blow my head off never occurred to me until now.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Chunk of home-made black treacle toffee, anyone?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X