• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Anyone healthy?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone healthy?"

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    So an average of 82 (which on reflection might be a better way of expressing it). Wow.
    Aye. Amazing really considering none of them were posh and had quite hard jobs (farm labourers, blacksmiths etc.). My grandmother gave up smoking at the age of 84 for her 'health'

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I think it's 989. One of my grandfathers rather lowered the batting average by snuffing it on his way to the tobacconists.
    So an average of 82 (which on reflection might be a better way of expressing it). Wow.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I think it's 989. One of my grandfathers rather lowered the batting average by snuffing it on his way to the tobacconists.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    If we're talking grand and great grand that's 8 not 12. As you're only going back 2 generations.
    8 great grandparents + 4 grandparents = 12.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Ah wasn't paying attention!
    It was my mistake, you caught me between edits.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    You've quoted my post in which I said 4, instead of 12, to account for great grand parent, so 335 isn't all that great (or grand).
    Ah wasn't paying attention!
    If we're talking grand and great grand that's 8 not 12. As you're only going back 2 generations.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Hmmm, from what I've been told mine were all mid 80's and 90's so let's say 335?

Is there a prize??
    You've quoted my post in which I said 4, instead of 12, to account for great grand parent, so 335 isn't all that great (or grand).

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Come on then, who has the highest scoring grand and great grand parents? (add all 4 ages together). Or lowest, for a laugh
    Hmmm, from what I've been told mine were all mid 80's and 90's so let's say 335?

Is there a prize??

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Come on then, who has the highest scoring grand and great grand parents? (add all 12? ages together). Or lowest, for a laugh

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Come think of it, my mother's mother died early too. The males reached a good age though, I think. I haven't seen anyone less than 75 on the male side, and that 75 figure doesn't square with what I recall my father saying. I'm sure he said his father was still working at 87 and that he planned to beat him.
    Early death is genetically transferred down the maternal side, honest

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You might want to pull your finger out then...................tempus fugit and all that..........

Come think of it, my mother's mother died early too. The males reached a good age though, I think. I haven't seen anyone less than 75 on the male side, and that 75 figure doesn't square with what I recall my father saying. I'm sure he said his father was still working at 87 and that he planned to beat him.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    However, last year and the year before I've had a plethora of illnesses ranging from chest infections, depression, abscesses, a whole bunch of stuff one after the other. But this year I have been absolutely fine again.

I think extreme stress/emotional turmoil can knock your immune system for six because that is the only explanation I have for the period of illness.
    Ah dear old stress, don't ya just love it

Had a couple of days of his contract first time in years, layngitis, normally happy to go in and infect everyone, but losing your voice when you've got conference calls all day, not good.

Though norovirus was interesting as it came on just as I had an interview for another contract, not good, train journey home as even worse.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Grandmother 33 (his second wife lived to 81 though, but not my genes), Great grandmother 37

I keep meaning to ask my mother more about her side of the family.
    You might want to pull your finger out then...................tempus fugit and all that..........

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Thanks for the offer but I suspect it would be awkward anyway (zey are Germans on meine mutter's side). I always used to wriggle out of visiting them too as a kid, so I don't know most of them.
    AH them Germans. You are right - can't get info for them.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Coming up to middle age, only about half a stone heavier than I was when I was 18, 32 stone. Quit smoking years ago (cigs and other stuff). Prob drink a bit too much but who doesn't.
    Can still run steadily for an hour.
    OK I guess. Could do better.
    But have genes with longevity - grandparents died mostly of old age and accidents in their 90s.
    And gramps was a heavy drinker. Fell off his bike when he was 92 and fractured his skull. Died of MRSA a week later.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X