• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The "be nice to SY01" thread"

Collapse

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    The issue came around with sharing - I shared my dropbox with someone else, they joined the share, but didn't have enough quota to get a copy of my files. They left the share. My files were deleted in the cloud and also on my PC.

I raised a ticket. They were useless.
    I haven't used sharing, but think I'll stay away from that feature then.... just in case

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Aha! So it was dodgy HP drivers - APFU.

I learned years ago to do a full backup before putting HP drivers on. Great printers. Fekkin dreadful software.

Why I Believe Printers Were Sent From Hell To Make Us Miserable - The Oatmeal

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Boudica View Post
    doesn't this belong in the techie part?

...on second thoughts, SY wouldn't get as much attention or botty-wiping in there

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    doesn't this belong in the techie part?

...on second thoughts, SY wouldn't get as much attention or botty-wiping in there

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

I learned years ago to do a full backup before putting HP drivers on. Great printers. Fekkin dreadful software.
    No HPLIP is open sores.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I tried to install HPLIP so I could get my printer and scanner to work. This destroyed the python libraries and knocked out half of gnome...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    My tuppence worth... Why did you try and upgrade the OS? Update, fair enough, but upgrade?

I have had CentOS updates bugger up live machines before so don't rely on changing OS to save your arse. Sorry but to dist-upgrade a critical machine without a full (and I mean tar the whole directory structure to another drive) is just a bit silly.
    You have a point.

I tried to install HPLIP so I could get my printer and scanner to work. This destroyed the python libraries and knocked out half of gnome

A simple "sudo apt-get install hplip" fraked it totally.

In desperation I tried reinstalling gnome. This in turn fraked the rest of the machine. In a final piece of madness / desperation "sudo apt upgrade"

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    My tuppence worth... Why did you try and upgrade the OS? Update, fair enough, but upgrade?

I have had CentOS updates bugger up live machines before so don't rely on changing OS to save your arse. Sorry but to dist-upgrade a critical machine without a full (and I mean tar the whole directory structure to another drive) is just a bit silly.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I do backup my data and have tested a restore from backup on a virtual machine, so it is a proven backup. To that end I am not worried.

Rather my ignorance of piling all my eggs into one machine so that when it blows I lose my ability to invoice, and work all at the same time, is the thing I lament.

My funky new laptop has cured the second point, and I restored from a backup to be able to get up and running in under 30 mins.
    Yeah exactly. The data is one thing, being able to use it, have a clean PC up and running from scratch, etc, is another. All I'd lose is some working time, maybe a few £100 of billing time. If I were responsible for hosting anything, who knows what those few hours might cost.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    The answer is A. I've installed and reinstalled the client numerous times on numerous machines without issue.

*if* it did in fact delete your files, which I've not experienced in almost 2 years of use on 6 machines. Why didn't you just restore them from the dropbox web interface which is very easily done? Failing that, you could raise a ticket and dropbox would be able to restore them for you.
    The issue came around with sharing - I shared my dropbox with someone else, they joined the share, but didn't have enough quota to get a copy of my files. They left the share. My files were deleted in the cloud and also on my PC.

I raised a ticket. They were useless.

EDIT:
    The answer is A.
    That's good to know. Thanks.
    Last edited by Platypus; 24 October 2010, 11:42.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I think you need to draw a distinction between a backup and a drive image. Drives are pretty chunky these days and I'm sure none of you is paying $1/gig to store a 500Gb image in the cloud. Rather you backup your data.

I do backup my data and have tested a restore from backup on a virtual machine, so it is a proven backup. To that end I am not worried.

Rather my ignorance of piling all my eggs into one machine so that when it blows I lose my ability to invoice, and work all at the same time, is the thing I lament.

My funky new laptop has cured the second point, and I restored from a backup to be able to get up and running in under 30 mins.

The linux server is another question as this needs an OS rebuild, and I am switching distros from Ubuntu to CentOs (thanks for the steer ClipHead)
    This will take a lot longer.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    At what point does someone come up with the cliché?

There are two kinds of people: those who take backups and those who haven't had a catastrophic disk failure.
    I think there are 3 distinctions:

- Those who don't take backups
    - Those who tell you about their backup strategy
    - Those who have had to use their backup strategy in real life

Having stuff backed up doesn't mean it's easy to get up and running, I think most only worry about the first part. Myself included... but then losing a few hours doesn't leave me screwed in any real way.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Oh yeah? So what happens when you re-install the client and it notices that your local dropbox is empty? Does it (a) Copy everything back from the cloud, or (b) delete everything in the cloud thereby "syncing" with your local dropbox?!
    The answer is A. I've installed and reinstalled the client numerous times on numerous machines without issue.

*if* it did in fact delete your files, which I've not experienced in almost 2 years of use on 6 machines. Why didn't you just restore them from the dropbox web interface which is very easily done? Failing that, you could raise a ticket and dropbox would be able to restore them for you.
    Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 23 October 2010, 16:59.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I use dropbox for automatic sync'ing to the "cloud"...
    Hubris.

Dropbox once deleted all my files. Be careful if/when sharing !

Means I can recover all my files automatically just by installing the client should I suffer some sort of failure.
    Oh yeah? So what happens when you re-install the client and it notices that your local dropbox is empty? Does it (a) Copy everything back from the cloud, or (b) delete everything in the cloud thereby "syncing" with your local dropbox?!

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    SY we have all put in and are buying you a wooden leg for Xmas, it's not your main present, it's a stocking filler

boom! boom!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X