• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New laptop thread

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New laptop thread"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Not made of money man!

What is so special about a spakbook anyways?
    It runs MacOs, is what an iFan will tell you.
    Nothing, it's overpriced, a Mac-hater will tell you
    Otherwise, it's a nicely styled PC. If you think style and sleekness are worth money, and aren't the sort to upgrade their laptops, it's a fair choice.

Although beware, Apple announced this week they will likely be dropping Java support from the next version of MacOs.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Should have spent more money on a macbook pro.
    Not made of money man!

What is so special about a spakbook anyways?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Should have spent more money on a macbook pro.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Just watched the opening bars of Sweeney Todd in HD. Looks like HD to me. But what would I know.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    have you tried playing a blueray film on it?
    No,not yet.

Thhe tactile response of the keyboard is sublime, but the mousepad is all bumpy.

Also when I got into task manager there appear to be 4 cores, but I remember this being advertised as a dual core box. Praps each core is hyperthreaded or summat.

Who the frak cares. It's shiny, big, new, and I popped my VM on it and it didn't even break sweat.

Off to grab a blueray disc now, what am I expecting to see? <A film says suityou02 in my ear as I type this> Har bloody har.
    Is it going to be crap quality? Am I going to be blown away with HiDef amazement?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    As a long time user of Sony IT equipment I can tell you that you need to be aware:
    • They are always overpriced
    • The drivers are often a problem
    • Support is so expensive that replacement is cheaper
    • Their kit is pretty and robust but is always weak on something, such as disk performance or battery life or the absence of an essential port.
    • When you get a good one and learn to live with its foibles, you'll be over the moon with it.
    • They always come installed with large amounts of bloatware which reduces the performance to that of a Casio scientific calculator
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

It has a blueray player and hdmi out
    have you tried playing a blueray film on it?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    17.3in display.
    Resolution 1600 x 900 pixels.

Not even Full HD and its a 17.3in display

It has a blueray player and hdmi out

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Settled on this

Sony VAIO EC 1 Series 320GB 17.3in Blu-ray Laptop - White
    17.3in display.
    Resolution 1600 x 900 pixels.

Not even Full HD and its a 17.3in display

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Settled on this

As a long time user of Sony IT equipment I can tell you that you need to be aware:
    • They are always overpriced
    • The drivers are often a problem
    • Support is so expensive that replacement is cheaper
    • Their kit is pretty and robust but is always weak on something, such as disk performance or battery life or the absence of an essential port.
    • When you get a good one and learn to live with its foibles, you'll be over the moon with it.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Settled on this

Around £200 over budget, but it is quite shiny.

I was sold on the I5 processor and 6GB ram. Need plenty of head room for all those virtual machines.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I do most my coding on my 15" Dell Latitude from 2 years ago. It's fine - decent screen and keyboard, and fast enough processor and hard disk. The only problem is that everything is clunky with VS2010, but I suspect that's down to the graphics speed. All previous versions are okay though.

I think (but can't swear) that I had VC6 installed on Windows 7 at one stage. But as others have said there's always a VM.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I've got a Dell XPS M1730 which is this before the Alienware takeover. Nice machine, fast great for SQL and processing power in general, but a bit of a lump. Expensive.

I've also got a Dell M1330 which is highly portable but not so nice for coding as the screen is smaller, and genrally not as performant.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I prefer "time seasoned", expert, pinnacle of my career.
    Go on grandad, tell me you've forgotten more about software development than I know. It might even be true... but I know more than you've got left to forget. Sticking with VB is probably a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Lenovo Thinkpad W510 or T510. The HP EliteBooks look quite good as well.
    Dell Precision
    I think Chef has one of the current models

Leave a comment:

Working...
X