• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New laptop thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Son I was coding when you were an itch in your Daddy's pants.
    That's the spirit. Most people don't like admitting to being an over the hill, stuck in their ways, outdated dinosaur. But you revel in it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      That's the spirit. Most people don't like admitting to being an over the hill, stuck in their ways, outdated dinosaur. But you revel in it.
      I prefer "time seasoned", expert, pinnacle of my career.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        iPad? Isn't that the large print version of the iPod for old people?

Comment

Mmmmm weight is not really an issue. Just needs to look good, be solidly made and go like HAB in a brothel
          Lenovo Thinkpad W510 or T510. The HP EliteBooks look quite good as well.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Lenovo Thinkpad W510 or T510. The HP EliteBooks look quite good as well.
            Dell Precision
            I think Chef has one of the current models
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I prefer "time seasoned", expert, pinnacle of my career.
              Go on grandad, tell me you've forgotten more about software development than I know. It might even be true... but I know more than you've got left to forget. Sticking with VB is probably a good idea.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I've got a Dell XPS M1730 which is this before the Alienware takeover. Nice machine, fast great for SQL and processing power in general, but a bit of a lump. Expensive.

I've also got a Dell M1330 which is highly portable but not so nice for coding as the screen is smaller, and genrally not as performant.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I do most my coding on my 15" Dell Latitude from 2 years ago. It's fine - decent screen and keyboard, and fast enough processor and hard disk. The only problem is that everything is clunky with VS2010, but I suspect that's down to the graphics speed. All previous versions are okay though.

I think (but can't swear) that I had VC6 installed on Windows 7 at one stage. But as others have said there's always a VM.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Settled on this

Sony VAIO EC 1 Series 320GB 17.3in Blu-ray Laptop - White

Around £200 over budget, but it is quite shiny.

I was sold on the I5 processor and 6GB ram. Need plenty of head room for all those virtual machines.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Settled on this

Sony VAIO EC 1 Series 320GB 17.3in Blu-ray Laptop - White
                      As a long time user of Sony IT equipment I can tell you that you need to be aware:
                      • They are always overpriced
                      • The drivers are often a problem
                      • Support is so expensive that replacement is cheaper
                      • Their kit is pretty and robust but is always weak on something, such as disk performance or battery life or the absence of an essential port.
                      • When you get a good one and learn to live with its foibles, you'll be over the moon with it.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X