• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The definition of being wealthy"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    While we're on the subject, how much is threaded worth?
    How long is a piece of string?
    With his time machine he just has to pop back a couple of days and he's won the euro millions (again)

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    How is William anyway? I'd heard he's stood down from day to day running and handed over to a balding mentalist
    No, not him or anywhere near that amount of dosh. Not even in dimprawn's or threaded's class, I shouldn't imagine. Tens of millions though, which isn't to be sneezed at.

While we're on the subject, how much is threaded worth?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    In that list it's anything less than $800 million dollars.

One of my ex-classmates went to the US, started up his own software company and is known among us as being one of the "filthy rich", but I'm sure he's got a lot less than that. We'll have to find out how much and re-assess his sobriquet. He'll be upset.
    How is William anyway? I'd heard he's stood down from day to day running and handed over to a balding mentalist

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by MrGrunge View Post
    less than 2million dollars - struggling on a council estate?
    In that list it's anything less than $800 million dollars.

One of my ex-classmates went to the US, started up his own software company and is known among us as being one of the "filthy rich", but I'm sure he's got a lot less than that. We'll have to find out how much and re-assess his sobriquet. He'll be upset.

Leave a comment:

• MrGrunge
    replied
    less than 2million dollars - struggling on a council estate?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I take the OP is the spirit I think it was meant - wealth is how much money and assets you've got. Otherwise we are confusing it with quality of life, which I think is something else.

Anyway, I always wanted to be filthy rich, because I like the sound of that, but looking at Lumiere's list that's further away than I thought.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 11 October 2010, 16:17.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    * $2-4 million: The comfortable poor
    * $4-10 million: The comfortably off
    * $10-30 million: The comfortably wealthy
    * $30-80 million: The lesser rich
    * $80-150 million: The comfortably rich
    * $150-200 million: The rich
    * $200-400 million: The seriously rich
    * $400-800 million: The truly rich
    * $800 million - $1.998 billion: The filthy rich
    * $1.998 billion and Above: The super rich
    Where's Richie Rich???

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    * Pretending you're richer than you are: The phallically challenged

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    on the contrary,

one of my Bob colleagues explained how in India, the richest man in India is infact the man on the street with no money because he wishes for nothing

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Even the poorest people in this country are relatively wealthy, if only they'd compare themselves to folks in Darfur or Bangladesh instead of Posh and Becks they might realise how lucky they are.
    Are you wealthier as a street urchin in the UK than India? Maybe a bit, but then they probably won't risk death from exposure.

I wonder if there is a league table of "best countries to be homeless in"...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    This leaves us with a definition which is rather fragile, and rightly so; some misfortune like an accident in the car, a sudden and destructive illness like MS, or losing one's job could leave anybody in a very sticky situation; you'd possibly also find, if you suddenly fell down the socio-economic tree, that many of your 'friends' would desert you.

Agree with a lot of statements on here, Spod's as well

but Mich strikes a chord with the car scenario

and this is why, we should all be driving the biggest and safest cars we can afford and not the cheapest or most fuel effiecient cars

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It's true gj, these rascals hide stuff in the wheel. Instinct I suppose.
    my Dongo fills his with the contents of his food bowl, so the noise contravenes several noise abatement acts of parliament. he makes more noise than a skeleton break dancing in a biscuit tin.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I know how this hamster feels.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Most posters are confusing wealth with quality. including me.

maybe thats right, after all, its easy to imagine scenarios where you have unlimited wealth, but cant use it.

Imagine you were a chillean miner and you won 133 million on the euro lottery. wouldnt be much use would it ?

Ah, the 6ft chopsticks analogy...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X