• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The definition of being wealthy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Would you though? Deep down I think people drink to forget, given mega wealth I think I'd be having early nights so I'd be fresh for the Sunseeker skipper course/jet fighter training etc etc.
    I would, probably. I used to drink to forget, but now I cant remember what i was trying to forget. it was bad though. very bad. something to do with cucumber and a citrus fruit

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      I wasn't born in one of those either.

It's just become like that over the last 13 years.
      FTFY
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

There was a picture in the times this morning of a 42 year old woman from Glasgow who'd been in prison, lives on benefits and suffers from epilepsy. She looked, to my eyes, about 85. I thought immediately of Lady Tester, who is just over 40, but is healthy, fit and attractive. Of course, the social-economic difference between the unemployed sick woman from Glasgow and a degree educated nursing manager from a comfortable area is enormous, and perhaps that brings us to a good definition of wealth;
        - good health
        - ability to dress well in your chosen style
        - ability to choose what to eat, eat healthily and whether to eat in or out
        - access to sports, leisure and cultural activities
        - access to furthering one's education
        - ability to rely on one's own income without state assistance
        - lack of debt

This leaves us with a definition which is rather fragile, and rightly so; some misfortune like an accident in the car, a sudden and destructive illness like MS, or losing one's job could leave anybody in a very sticky situation; you'd possibly also find, if you suddenly fell down the socio-economic tree, that many of your 'friends' would desert you.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          This leaves us with a definition which is rather fragile, and rightly so; some misfortune like an accident in the car, a sudden and destructive illness like MS, or losing one's job could leave anybody in a very sticky situation; you'd possibly also find, if you suddenly fell down the socio-economic tree, that many of your 'friends' would desert you.
          Add getting banned on CUK to the list

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Add being a socially inept commie pinko lefty subversist to the list
            ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              - good health
              - ability to dress well in your chosen style
              - ability to choose what to eat, eat healthily and whether to eat in or out
              - access to sports, leisure and cultural activities
              - access to furthering one's education
              - ability to rely on one's own income without state assistance
              - lack of debt

I find this interesting. Its a way of defining wealth that is almost 100% social. If you were a castaway on a desert island, the only one that would be applicable from this list is health.
              Maybe castaways cant be wealthy or poor. Maybe wealth is simply a measure of how high up the tree you are, and its meaningless because maybe the castaway was right after all.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                1. Not having to get up in the morning in order to be in the office at 8am

I don't have to, but I often am. However, not today.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Anyone see Sur/Lord Shug with Piers Morgan the other night. Asked who was the richest Shug says it should be different, it should be who can write a cheque today that will be cashed. He reckoned he could chuck £100m+ and it would be honoured as opposed to various stock owners with the wealth tied up.
                  No-one looked to be struggling there though !

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I find this interesting. Its a way of defining wealth that is almost 100% social. If you were a castaway on a desert island, the only one that would be applicable from this list is health.
                    Maybe castaways cant be wealthy or poor. Maybe wealth is simply a measure of how high up the tree you are, and its meaningless because maybe the castaway was right after all.

I'm reasonably well-off because I earn a lot of money. If I don't work then I don't get paid and eventually things will turn to ratsh!t.

Therefore I would not consider myself as "wealthy". My earning potential is great, my wealth not so.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

If the castaway is healthy and has the strength and skill to make use of his surroundings, he can build a shelter, provide himself with water and food, some basic home comforts and some amusement to pass the time. He would have no use for money, unless some floating shop passes by regularly. Given health he can explore his environment and learn more about what it offers.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X