• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is Pink Floyd best listened to while alone in your room, stoned off your face?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    The things you find when looking for Toad.
    Top Find

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A Nick Fitz Odyssey down the A303
    The things you find when looking for Toad.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Toad View Post
    Brass ??
    Are you sure it wasn't "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" that you were listening to ?
    Brass in bucketloads on the arrangement of Comfortably Numb, I never really picked up on that before but on a quality system it sticks out a mile, my first thoughts were "they would never have been able to orchestrate that" wikipedia suggests it was Michael Kamen with either the New York Philharmonic or the New York Symphony.

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Try The Orb
    I saw The Orb Unplugged years ago. You could have heard a pin drop.

Leave a comment:

• Toad
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I heard Comfortaby Numb through an "expensive system" today and it was awe inspiring, the orchestration of the brass is amazing. Never appreciated that before.
    Brass ??
    Are you sure it wasn't "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" that you were listening to ?
    Last edited by Toad; 18 March 2012, 00:07. Reason: pissed

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    The defining moment of Live 8 was the appearance of the classic Floyd lineup. Despite looking like my dentist, they blew the likes of the Scissor Sisters, Coldplay and Pete Doherty out of the water. They did this by:-

1. Sometimes playing in a time signature other than 4/4.

2. Sometimes playing quietly, at other times playing more loudly.

3. Having David Gilmour on guitar.

That is all.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I heard Comfortaby Numb through an "expensive system" today and it was awe inspiring, the orchestration of the brass is amazing. Never appreciated that before.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    This band pretty much took over and cleaned up. Not sure if you've all heard of them.

Marillion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Saw today that they're supporting Deep Purple here soon.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Speak To Me

The bit with helicopter sample. Listening to that in bed, off my face, I remember feeling like I had been thrown off the edge of a cliff.

What people don't tell you about drugs is the emotions you go through when you are on them, can change your physiology. You were on drugs when you felt that way so it was synthesized emotion, but your mind and body still felt that way-it experienced a real emotion, and you have been changed accordingly, permanently. Not saying changed for the worse, but changed.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    This band pretty much took over and cleaned up. Not sure if you've all heard of them.

Nope, but remember going to see Chemical Alice back then who this band stole the keyboard player (Mark Kelly) from

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

The main difference is you have to be on drugs to enjoy them.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like", after that era of Pink Floyd you might as well be asleep

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like", after that era of Pink Floyd you might as well be asleep

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Surely real Pink Floyd fans claim to like the early stuff with Syd Barret, and despise DSOM and everything that folowed for "being too commercial".
    Only very pretentious people on a kind of hippy nostalgia trip think that. DSOM hasn't dated. As has been noted, kids today listen to it and enjoy it. Having said that, I do enjoy the early stuff as well.

I did know one guy who'd watched the Wall while stoned on LSD and while straight. He said it didn't make much difference.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    you don't need to be alone

Leave a comment:

Working...
X