• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lib Dems and HMRC

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lib Dems and HMRC"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Err, isn't that where it all turned to ratsh!t last time?
    Yes; it was probably quite well paid ratshyte though.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
    Sounds to me like a job creation scheme - employ an extra 1000 civil servants then that's a huge saving in benefits payments.

Surely there's an opening here for some of us on here to get a contract role supporting the new software and infrastructure required to do so??
    Err, isn't that where it all turned to ratsh!t last time?

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    Tax evasion by the better off is to be aggressively pursued in a £900million drive which will see the number of people targeted for tax checks rise from 5,000 a year to 150,000.
    Sounds to me like a job creation scheme - employ an extra 1000 civil servants then that's a huge saving in benefits payments.

Surely there's an opening here for some of us on here to get a contract role supporting the new software and infrastructure required to do so??

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Can we all please try and avoid using this rather distasteful word Fair ™ until the meaning of it, as distorted by the worse government ever to have been wreaked upon the people of the UK, has reverted back to its normal parlance?
    To be fair Fair can't be quantified fairly due to it's fairly subjective nature.
    The previous oligarchy, because we don't live in a democracy-rather an elected oligarchy who can then ignore the people and do want they want, used Fair from their point of view.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Can we all please try and avoid using this rather distasteful word Fair ™ until the meaning of it, as distorted by the worse government ever to have been wreaked upon the people of the UK, has reverted back to its normal parlance?
    I think it has to be used in the same context as phrases like ;- tax avoidance, tax efficient, minimising your liability, in the same league as benefit cheats.. etc

A bit like certain non doms not being tax cheats because they contribute to the economy - there's a concept...

I'm just going to wait and see wht they come up with - then see what the accountants come up with afterwards.

Tax avoidance/efficiency is an industry in it's own right - I don't see those guys going down without a fight

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Why do you think Lord Ashcroft has resigned?
    He has realised he'll have to pay taxes?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    It's not that, that gets my goat. I completely agree with the sentiment that we should all pay what we owe. Cos that's fair.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    The more I read the more I see the middle class/small businesses in the firing line...

If this all starts happening and the MPs/bankers/non doms are stiil getting away with it I hope there is enough uproar..
    Why do you think Lord Ashcroft has resigned?

There is going to be a clean sweep.
    Last edited by SupremeSpod; 20 September 2010, 11:44.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Philip Green is NOT a tax avoider or evader! He employs many thousands of British workers and has a right to keep his money abroad because he contributes more to the country than everyone else put together! Also he is financing proper train door handles for your backward British trains!

You on the other hand are dirty speckulants! All of you!

Best wishes, AtW

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Legal tax avoidance, eh?

Well they can start with everyone who has a TESSA, ISA or other tax exempt savings vehicle. Abolish tax relief on pension contributions. Stop all "Duty free" imports (i.e. make the "tax free" limits zero).

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    The more I read the more I see the middle class/small businesses in the firing line...

If this all starts happening and the MPs/bankers/non doms are stiil getting away with it I hope there is enough uproar..

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    As long as 'everybody' pays fair then I'm OK with that. But if Phillip Green, bank bosses etc and MPs and members of the house of Lords are getting away with not doing it ...
    AtW alert!
    AtW alert!
    AtW alert!

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    So Danny Alexander avoids CGT on sale of his second home and then has the gall to say I am immoral for avoiding tax. What a c***t.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I get the impression that the Tories are quietly letting them make these pronouncements.
    That makes sense

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Thank you, I plan to do just that (again).
    It's alright, we'll get you next time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X