• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dems and HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Hmmm. BN66 has shown us all that they can, and may, do just that.
    BN66 shows what HMRC are trying to do. The war isn't over yet. I've a feeling that there's some HMRC mandarin somewhere who won't back down but will eventually be put out to pasture and HMRC will use that as an excuse to back down.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      If they plug the loopholes that Accountants have exploited and don't try and act retrospectively then fine, what's the problem?

Just pay up and smile.
      That's a pretty big 'if'. 'If' they manage to pull that off I'll have no choice but to pay up.

Maybe I'll see what benefits I'm entitled to to make up for it
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        That's a pretty big 'if'. 'If' they manage to pull that off I'll have no choice but to pay up.

Maybe I'll see what benefits I'm entitled to to make up for it
        As compensation for what? You've had a bloody good run (I'm assuming) just pay up and smile.

If you're entitled to benefits then claim them!

Comment

Calm down dear.. it's only a thread on CUK..

Seriously though - having no kids I was not aware that anyone with children can claim child benefit regardless of income. I always thought benefits were meant for people that actually needed them.

All the more reason to legally minimise your tax laibility IMO..
          Yep - the child benefit just about pays for the accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Yep - the child benefit just about pays for the accountant.
            Not for much longer *if* Nick Clegg manages to win his war on accountants and loopholes..

I wonder how this would affect MPs and members of the house of Lords?

The whole thing stinks and he's doing it for his own political agenda - I hope it blows up in his face
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Not for much longer *if* Nick Clegg manages to win his war on accountants and loopholes..

I wonder how this would affect MPs and members of the house of Lords?

The whole thing stinks and he's doing it for his own political agenda - I hope it blows up in his face
              What stinks? The country needs the money. If it's not retrospective and everybody then pays what's fair, what's the problem?

Comment

What stinks? The country needs the money.
                Perhaps they shouldn't have wasted so much of it to start with.

Just sayin'.
                You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

What stinks? The country needs the money. If it's not retrospective and everybody then pays what's fair, what's the problem?
                  It's not that, that gets my goat. I completely agree with the sentiment that we should all pay what we owe. Cos that's fair.

As mentioned in the BN66 thread today though, it is slightly galling to see companies like Vodafone let off a mahoosive tax bill.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

As long as 'everybody' pays fair then I'm OK with that. But if Phillip Green, bank bosses etc and MPs and members of the house of Lords are getting away with not doing it but the 'low hanging fruit' are getting dragged over the coals then I'm not.

The BBC website has some more clarity I've found:

Unveiling plans agreed with the Chancellor George Osborne, Mr Alexander said the authorities would get £900m extra in financial support for the "ruthless" pursuit of tax evaders and those who use legal loopholes to minimise their tax bills.
                    Ministers want to see a fivefold increase in prosecution for tax evasion and Revenue & Customs will be given in extra resources to create a dedicated team of investigators to bear down on offshore tax havens and online tax evasion.

"There are some people who seem to believe that not paying their fair share of tax is a lifestyle choice that is socially acceptable," he said.

"Just like the benefit cheat, they take resources from those who need them most. Tax avoidance and evasion are unacceptable in the best of times but in today's circumstances it is morally indefensible.

"We will be ruthless with those often wealthy people and businesses who think they can treat paying tax as an optional extra."
                    At this early stage, there is not much meat on the bone of these proposals.

Treasury officials are keen to say how much money will be earned - that is £8 garnered for every £1 invested by HMRC
                    So they're just revealing what they've already agreed with George

Seems to be very offshore/loophole focused.

businesses who think they can treat paying tax as an optional extra
                    What does this mean? Directors being forced into taking salaries of £150k+ and not taking dividends?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
                      Perhaps they shouldn't have wasted so much of it to start with.
                      You do know a different party are in power recently, right?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X