• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Christmas homebrew thread"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Doing the 1st racking of the apple wine this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I take it this brewing malarkey a)needs a warmish room, so you need to set aside a whole room because it b)stinks a bit? Wine I imagine is much cleaner but is beer likely to stink out the house and generally be messy?
    Are you talking about brewing or an Atw bedsit?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Just barrelled...

Black Sheep - Riggwelter x 25 litre
    Adnams - Broadside x 25 litre

Both now in temperature controlled cupboard for warm conditioning/carbonation, followed by a drop in temp for cold conditioning/maturation.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I take it this brewing malarkey a)needs a warmish room
    Somewhere it will be sort of around 18-21C but you can bung it in the shed / garage on a heating plate or on a polystyrene sheet with a heating belt, wrapped in an old quit or blanket.

, so you need to set aside a whole room because it b)stinks a bit?
    Making ale from scratch pongs a bit on the day, but it is not unpleasant. Then you put it in a container to ferment which has an airlock. There is then no smell.

Wine I imagine is much cleaner but is beer likely to stink out the house and generally be messy?
    I don't think there's any difference. Mashing up a couple of buckets of fruit to make into country wine also pongs the house out, on the day. Just like making marmalade or jam pongs. But again, it is not unpleasant.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I HAVE RUN OUT OF ALCOHOL IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!

Is this supposed to have sound?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I take it this brewing malarkey a)needs a warmish room, so you need to set aside a whole room because it b)stinks a bit? Wine I imagine is much cleaner but is beer likely to stink out the house and generally be messy?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Have you none of this:

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    At the same time I was making up 2 x 40 pints for Xmas as well. One lot is now bottled, the other is going in a barrel.

But since I'm going to be on a cruise in the sunshine over Xmas & New Year drinking cocktails, I'll have the ale to come home to.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I can see I need to blag a Christmas invite somewhere

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    it's made in the same way as sloe gin.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Just put 2 gallons of apple wine under the stair for part 1 fermentation.

And my 1st batch of blackberry whisky is sitting underneath the sink.
    Blackberry Whisky sounds interesting!!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Just put 2 gallons of apple wine under the stair for part 1 fermentation.

And my 1st batch of blackberry whisky is sitting underneath the sink.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    In a word

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Deuchars. Mmmmmm.
    Time to sample the merchandise (from a QA point of view only you understand)

<drum-roll>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X