• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Google

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Google"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    HotBot and AltaVista.

Raves from the grave.
    Altavista is still there

I couldn't resist putting in a search for FORTRAN...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Yep, I did that straightaway as the search results were totally different to those I got before and it then 'destroyed' a number of my settings such as opening search results in a new window...
    It started working here in Chocolate Land yesterday, and you don't need to be logged in. Typing a single "a" comes up with the likes of Apple and Amazon (3 flavours of), so my guess is that they are picking the big payers.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You can try a new search engine just by typing it into your browser... you can even find it by typing the name into Google.
    Yahoo! handles many hundreds of thousands of searches for "Yahoo" every day.

Some people seem to find it easier to get to Yahoo! Mail or whatever by going to Yahoo! and searching for "Yahoo", even though the link to whatever service they are seeking was right there on the page they searched from. I have no doubt that many of those users get to Yahoo! to carry out that search by first searching for "Yahoo" on Google.

There was absolute mayhem back in February when ReadWriteWeb published an article that briefly became the first Google result for "facebook login"

Still, there's an important lesson there: you need to understand your users, and you are not your users.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Using Bing or whatever works very similar to Google.
    It's like changing from Coke to Pepsi - impossible.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's the other side of the coin - they are a monopoly for users same as ze Windows.
    No they're not. Changing from Windows is hard, you need to invest lots of time just installing a new OS let alone knowing how it works. You can try a new search engine just by typing it into your browser... you can even find it by typing the name into Google. Using Bing or whatever works very similar to Google.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    But as users of the service, this is not the case.
    It's the other side of the coin - they are a monopoly for users same as ze Windows.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I suppose for advertisers, it's fair to say Google has a monopoly in that you can't afford not to optimise for Google. But as users of the service, this is not the case.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Google is not a monopoly like Windows is. Google has the majority share of searching in the western world but Yahoo/Bing are active. And in other countries Google is NOT even the main player.
    In the UK Google accounts for 90% of searches, now with that "instant" tulip that creates 3-5 more searches per same proper search they will surely go up to 99.99% - stock market is going to love it!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Google Instant a potential bonanza for search scams

"This new technology can potentially improve existing Blackhat SEO campaigns," Correll warns. "We know for a fact that most Blackhat SEO campaigns automatically query Google’s trending topic results and now it seems that Google Instant will be suggesting those trending phrases (verbatim), potentially putting millions of victims directly in cyber criminals' cross hairs."
    Typing in "anti-virus" in Google, with the new real-time search technology enabled, returned Antivir Solution Pro, a well-known scareware pathogen, in a prominent position among the suggested search terms

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    You can turn it off if you don't like it. Look at the screenshot I posted earlier in the thread, where the topmost arrow is pointing to "Instant is on" - click on that and turn it off
    Yep, I did that straightaway as the search results were totally different to those I got before and it then 'destroyed' a number of my settings such as opening search results in a new window...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They are a monopoly like Microsoft was with Windows - forcing users to do certain things for their own benefit by leveraging monopoly will sooner or later end up where Microsoft did.
    What, really rich and powerful?

Google is not a monopoly like Windows is. Google has the majority share of searching in the western world but Yahoo/Bing are active. And in other countries Google is NOT even the main player.

Changing your OS is a big hassle, changing your search engine isn't.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    You can turn it off if you don't like it. Look at the screenshot I posted earlier in the thread, where the topmost arrow is pointing to "Instant is on" - click on that and turn it off
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They also allow you the choice to not use their site at all.
    They are a monopoly like Microsoft was with Windows - forcing users to do certain things for their own benefit by leveraging monopoly will sooner or later end up where Microsoft did.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yes, that was very kind of Google to allow this possibility, I wish they did the same for ******* left nav bar
    They also allow you the choice to not use their site at all. Wouldn't you be better user Yandex?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You can turn it off if you don't like it.
    Yes, that was very kind of Google to allow this possibility, I wish they did the same for ******* left nav bar

Leave a comment:

Working...
X