• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Most pointless course."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    ...Conflict Management course...

...staying positive and enthusiastic...
    These both sound far from pointless for you. Can you take SY01 as a guest?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    When I was a permie manager, I went on a great in-house course about how to be an effective manager. It was over four days and very intensive. Attendees were from all over Europe.

It was a total waste of time as "managers of managers" were excluded, and those tossers were so dinosauric, that they made it totally impossible to apply any of what we'd learned.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    These sorts of courses are designed as management tests. Anyone without the nous to find some reason not to have to attend or who actually exhibits some sort of enthusiasm for them is quietly marked down as "not for progression".

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Many years ago, colleagues and myself were booked on a time management course along with our boss; he cancelled the booking saying he didn't have time!

Another pointless one was an in-house course on how to lift boxes (even forced on the sales guys who rarely lifted a pen let alone a box).

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I once attended an internally provided course that involved learning how to sit on a chair. I was a contractor too. I have since forgotten how to sit on chairs.
    I've had that one. It also involved door opening.

Then there was the introduction to the new door security mechanism, then another one when a revolving door was put on the building. Then there was the one when the telephone handsets were changed. It's a wonder I ever get any work done, oh hang on...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I find the fish course fairly pointless

Leave a comment:

• 117MilesToGo
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    This thread about pointless courses....
    Touche! Thrust and parry .......

Leave a comment:

• The Central Scrutinizer
    replied
    Influencing and persuasion.
    The only good thing about it was that the tutor looked like Kylie Minogue and was a psycho.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Stay the course Wilmslooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    A team building course:
    Where the problem team members didn't bother to turn up

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    What have you had the misfortune to have to endure?
    This thread about pointless courses....

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I once attended an internally provided course that involved learning how to sit on a chair. I was a contractor too. I have since forgotten how to sit on chairs.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    GCSE Religious Education / R.E.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    started a topic Most pointless course.

Most pointless course.

I have two in a row.

Last week I was on a Conflict Management course. Great at telling us how to spot conflict, but beggar all on managing it.

Next week I am sent on a course with the aim of staying positive and enthusiastic.

What have you had the misfortune to have to endure?

Working...
X