• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "From Russia to China to Pakistan to Britain ...."

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post

Fossil fuels are going to run out within the forseeable future (remember, even 1000 years is like the blink of an eye in planetary terms), on the way they will also become prohibitively expensive to use. Both of these factors will reduce their use - problem solved.
    In 100 years, barring holocausts and so on, there will be tens of thousands of square miles of efficient solar cells, and/or tanks of genetically modified algae, right across North Africa and in Australia, churning out as much oil as we all use today - It, or some organic chemicals like it, will still be needed for manufacturing plastics and fertiliser etc.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Extrapolate that until 2011 or 2012 and then just consider what the average over those temps from 2007 - 2012 will look like. Will be hard to be arguing in favour of AGW.
    Unless of course you are a knuckleheaded stats-cruncher with a hockeystick protruding rakishly from your jacksey!!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Now you can see why the warmists are nervous. Just look at this:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-conte...ug-18-2010.gif

Shaping up to be a very deep la Nina only two years after the last one took the average global temps down to where they were in 1979. Very unusual to have two cooling events like that so close together.

Extrapolate that until 2011 or 2012 and then just consider what the average over those temps from 2007 - 2012 will look like. Will be hard to be arguing in favour of AGW.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I think on manufacturing there could be still a lot more we could lose if we are not careful SAS.

Look beyond the £200 telly, what about the bricks in the £100k (to build I mean) house? You might think it absurd that we would import such a low price high weight thing as an ordinary house brick but 2 decades ago I would have said that about cement.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...and meanwhile the arctic ice grows yet again....

COI | Centre for Ocean and Ice | Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 August 2010, 16:47.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...not to mention the polar regions, the climate is doing strange stuff and breaking all records for temperature and precipitation - entirely as predicted by climatologists studying global warming.
    Yet, as they go to work in the unusually wet and humid tropical conditions of the UK, the usual useful idiots will deny the evidence of their eyes.
    You're only betraying your ignorance you know.
    In order to play you need to know why statistics is the basis of all science and why you're not really educated enough to debate this topic.
    Try reading about confounding variables for a start.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Well I think we're OK for aerospace and arms

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Sure we still make something SAS or am I just being optimistic there?

Maybe global warming is in part due to heat emitted by arguments over global warming. But there have been so many cases throughout history when scientists have been very partial, slanting and even manufacturing data to support their own viewpoints, that it is hardly surprising that everyone is sceptical.
    Well I think we're OK for aerospace and arms, and perhaps even cars by foreign manufactures based here but otherwise what do we make? Go round your house and count a British made product (not a British brand). You'll find precious few if any.

As for global warming, its noticeable that those on CUK who don't believe the evidence are those who are generally less well-educated. I simply think it's ignorance of how science works.
    Proper science should have empirically testable claims. And I'm just pointing out that this year's weather events have been generally extraordinary round the world - a trend that has been seen in the last 10 years and one that we can easily verify. Simply measure heat and precipitation.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Sure we still make something SAS or am I just being optimistic there?

Maybe global warming is in part due to heat emitted by arguments over global warming. But there have been so many cases throughout history when scientists have been very partial, slanting and even manufacturing data to support their own viewpoints, that it is hardly surprising that everyone is sceptical.

I always reckon it doesn't matter so much as many things we need to do to tackle GW we do anyway due to rising fuel prices and dependence on other countries. Better insulation, more efficient devices etc are things we should all agree on, if only to save ourselves money.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 August 2010, 15:25.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Fossil fuels are going to run out within the forseeable future (remember, even 1000 years is like the blink of an eye in planetary terms), on the way they will also become prohibitively expensive to use. Both of these factors will reduce their use - problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Meanwhile, fossil fuels are running out. That's the real reason for the climate change stories.
    No they're not. It's just that the towelheads are charging more for the stuff and we can't trust 'em.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Meanwhile, fossil fuels are running out. That's the real reason for the climate change stories.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    And so they'll have to put up with a dad who not only is a gurning and drooling village idiot, but is a complete embarassment to them.
    I agree, we should all learn from sasguru's mistakes

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I can imagine a scenario where SasGorus kids file for adoption on the grounds that their dad made them wear tee shirts , even when it was freezing, just to 'show em the world is definately getting warmer', and crying when all the palm trees he planted in the back garden died of frostbite

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    FTFY

Its your kids I feel sorry for. Regression to the mean means that they'll be more intelligent than you.
    And so they'll have to put up with a dad who not only is a gurning and drooling village idiot, but who with his obsession with "hockey stick" swindles and his belief in denialist pseudo science is a complete embarassment to them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X